Ongoing AMD Brazos 2.0 (E2-1800) / ZOTAC ZBOX AD06 as MP Client (1 Viewer)

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just ordered a Zotac ZBOX AD06 as a small client for my new TV in the attic. I read a bit and I did not want to spend too much money on this. As there a some people on the forum using the AMD E450 as a client, I thought why not try the new (spec bumped just a little) E2-1800.

The ZBO AD06 met my requirements quite well, got it for 216,82 € barebone. It comes with a remote, so I hope I can skip on another expense. As I was very satisfied having a client with an SSD (see htpc on my system spec), I ordered a OCZ Agility 3 90GB for this little-one. As memory was cheap as dirt at the moment, I threw an 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 at it (I might exchange this with my current htpc).

I am waiting for delivery - I will post updates.

P.S.: I also did a bet on the operating system front. I have all my systems on Windows 8 Pro at the moment, so I wanted this one to be that as well, but paying 130 € for the OS for a 330€ box was toooo much. I ordered a copy of WinXP on Amazon (yep, recovery disk, but often they still work well and are (at least in Germany) legal). As soon as it is installed I will order the MS Update to Windows 8 for 30€ as well, resulting in Windows 8 Pro for as little as 55 €. But as I said, it is a little gamble if it will work. Keep you posted.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So, my bet on the Operating System front is now on. Windows XP (20 €) is installed and activated. First I had to "upgrade" to IE 8 (it had IE 6 ;) ).

Now lets see about the 30€ upgrade.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great, purchase has worked fine - now downloading. Next step will be trying the key for the upgrade of the XP 32 Bit (so I now download Windows 8 32 Bit) for the Windows 8 64 installation files I have available. But first 1 hour waiting for the download.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Still working on my config as I initially used the opportunity to test a complete clean 1.3.0.0 Beta install for the Test team. Right now I am setting it up to work. For TV I can not test HD as I do not have it at home, but I will try HD material in Video Playback.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One thing: I have not got the remote working yet - there seems to be a special plugin for IRSS, but It does not work yet.

este22

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    hi, i have the zbox nano ad12. i think i have the same remote.
    do you have an external ir Receiver? this one works with the latest Version of irss. you have to activate the philips spinel plugin.
    for Details we should talk german. my english is not so good ;-)

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @este22. It seems that is now working, although I am not sure if it is due to the spinel plugin or due to the MCE. As I am currently quite busy with RL, I can not test any further. Maybe after Xmas.

Otherwise my Setup is coming along nicely. As for central Movies and Series, I setup a copy job, copying the central DB and thumbs to the small client, which will overwrite any settings there. My htpc is the master here ;-)

I will get in touch (auf Deutsch) as soon as I find some time to check it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Have you tried any 1080i material yet? I'm looking for small devices for multiseat playback and 1080i is a must!

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just a quick test, which had not shown major issues. But not tuned and finalized settings. Will do as soon as I get to it, OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom