An easy way to download a packed EPG from a site (1 Viewer)

chlodny

Portal Pro
September 18, 2009
Silesia
Home Country
Poland Poland
Some sites provide ready EPGs but they are packed. I know that there's a utility to download those (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/.../epg-downloader-service-tv-server-only-32166/) but what if you don't want to install anything new on your computer or use the old TV plugin instead of the TV Server? It's quite easy but I needed a lot of time to figure it out (well, the easiest way is always hard to find). We can use the Windows command line and create a batch file which will do everything for us. The two small utilities we also need are iOpus File Downloader and Freebyte ZIP (of course you can use any application you like, the only condition for it is the command line support) which are free.

iOpus File and Web Page Downloader
Freebyte ZIP

The only files we will need from those are downloader.exe from the first one and FBZip.exe from the second one. Now let's put those in some directory we want to keep them. I put them to the xmltv folder to have them all in one place. Let's create a txt file on the desktop and open it with Notepad. You will have to use the ancient way with short directory names because using the long names might cause the whole thing not working properly. Now, the first command is to activate the EPG download and here it is:

[your path]\downloader.exe -download [your full link] [the name of the downloaded file] (My case: C:\Docume~1\AllUse~1\Daneap~1\Teamme~1\Mediap~1\xmltv\downloader.exe -download http://download.ubuntu.pl/tv-guide/xmltv_full.zip xmltv_full.zip)

Next we have to unpack the guide:

[your path]\fbzip -e "[the path to the zip file]" "[the path where the file should be unpacked]" (My case: C:\Docume~1\AllUse~1\Daneap~1\Teamme~1\Mediap~1\xmltv\fbzip -e "C:\Docume~1\AllUse~1\Daneap~1\Teamme~1\Mediap~1\xmltv\xmltv_full.zip" "C:\Docume~1\AllUse~1\Daneap~1\Teamme~1\Mediap~1\xmltv\")

Now let's delete the old EPG file:

del [your path]\TVGuide.xml (My case: del C:\Docume~1\AllUse~1\Daneap~1\Teamme~1\Mediap~1\xmltv\TVGuide.xml)

Now just rename the new EPG file:

rename [your path] TVGuide.xml (My case: rename C:\Docume~1\AllUse~1\Daneap~1\Teamme~1\Mediap~1\xmltv\xmltv_full.xml TVGuide.xml)

And the last thing is to delete the zip file we downloaded:

del [your path] (My case: del C:\Docume~1\AllUse~1\Daneap~1\Teamme~1\Mediap~1\xmltv\xmltv_full.zip)

Now save the file and change the name to something.bat, e.g. TVGuide.bat and put it in a directory you like. I put it in the xmltv folder too.
You can now use it with My Programs plugin to download the EPG data on your own or let (for example) the Windows Task Scheduler to do it for you. No more pain of getting off the couch:) I hope I explained it clearly but if you have questions, feel free to ask them.

Chlodny

vachick

May 31, 2022
Home Country
Australia Australia
This solution is brilliant!!! It also works with URL that has options like username, password, etc.
I only needed to put the URL in quotes as the options were separated by spaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom