Analaog Tv quality - is it just me? (1 Viewer)

erik.p

Portal Member
January 19, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Thanks for all the hints & tips.
I tried the MCE drivers (although I have XP Pro), but didn't notice much differance.
The signal in is actually quite good. Still the picture is worse than if fed
straight from the cable-tv cable to the tv. But I can live with that.
Again, thanks for taking your time.

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    What decoders do you use? If you're using the decoders that come with MP, you will not be getting the best looking picture. I would recommend the nvidia purevideo decoders. Well worth the $20

quiller

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Home Country
    I agree on both sides: the "MCE" drivers (which work fine for XP) make a huge difference, but the biggest improvement came when I switched to the nVidia codec. It's expensive, but well, well worth the investment.

quiller

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Home Country
    I wouldn't call $20 expensive. And I don't even make much money :D
    It's expensive to somebody used to open source software replacing commercial alternatives. I suppose I'm saving a bunch of money, normally with better software in the end, to make one purchase acceptable.

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    I use the purevideo decoder and the HTPC quality is noticeably better than the straight analog cable.

erik.p

Portal Member
    January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok, thanks - I'll give them a shot, and see if there is any differance. Funny thing is I hooked the cable-tv signal into the the LCD TV yesterday and then did som Picture in Picture comparison (cable-tv signal vs computer fed signal) and the both looked equal (to me). Of course my gf argued that the signal was worse than before, because I had to use a splitter to feed them simultaneously...oh well...

elconejito

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Home Country
    Just to throw my hat into the ring on this. I've been fiddling with color settings for about a week now. I have a Hauppauge 150MCE and am using onboard video (ATI x200) to a 32" CRT using the default MPV decoder. I've managed to get the color "close" to what I get from straight cable.

I've adjusted settings in the Hauppauge tweaker which usually works right away, but sometimes requires a reboot before I notice a difference. I have adjusted the colors in the ATI Catalyst drivers for TV, and general color settings. I have adjusted the colors in the MPV decoder.

The main issue I have is that very dark and very light colors are crushed like in the image below. I over-exaggerate a little, but hopefully you see what I mean. And further the black isn't really black, more like a dark gray and the white isnt really white, more like an ivory or cream color. Again, its not *that* bad and I would probably not have noticed if I wasn't doing a direct comparison by flipping back and forth between inputs. See pic below, top half is how it it supposed to look, bottom is how it looks onscreen.
    grayscale.jpg

I guess I'm mainly wondering what settings people are generally using for Hauppauge, MPV decoder, and ATI catalyst (if applicable). Also, I wonder if I can use the PureVideo decoder even tho I have an ATI video out?

quiller

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Home Country
    I guess I'm mainly wondering what settings people are generally using for Hauppauge, MPV decoder, and ATI catalyst (if applicable). Also, I wonder if I can use the PureVideo decoder even tho I have an ATI video out?
    Yes. My video card is an ATI Radeon 9550, and the nVidia codec made more of a difference than everything else I've done. No matter how I adjusted the codecs, ffdshow or ATI, I still ended up with (as you said) gray blacks and creamy whites. With the nVidia codec, it's almost as good as my STB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom