Anime support (1 Viewer)

saitoh183

Portal Pro
May 6, 2011
Home Country
Canada Canada
Something that has always been missing form every HTPC is proper Anime support. XBMC has Anidb Mod scraper (which is what i was using), Plex has HAMA addon, Mediabrowser3 has Anime plugin and MP1 has MyAnime + JMM server.

None of theses solutions are elegant and each require changing how you arrange your anime content in your folders depending on the solution you choose. Yes we all know that TVDB can handle anime like tv shows but the reality is that Anime doesnt come in the same format that standard tvshows come in when you get them from release groups. They dont have Seasons like western shows (yes we put seasons but originally they dont have them). Its not for nothing Anidb exists and Anime release groups tie there release to the Anidb API.

It would be great if MP2 could natively support Anime the right way without having to rely on plugins. Using Anidb and other Anime sources to scrape Anime in conjuction with TVDB/Fanart.tv for Fanart (Anidb fails in that department). JMM server used with MyAnime could be a source to help bring this into MP2 as well as all the other mods i mentioned above. Mp2 could be the first Media center solution to get Anime right.

All my anime is in this format: Series_name\Series_name - Abs_Eps_num - Eps_title.ext
For series that have sequels (ie Fate stay night) i have them in there own folder as there sequel names (ie Fate Zero and Fate Zero 2012) instead of season folders inside Fate Stay night. This is because of the way the Anidb API works and applications that use it, will move/rename your files that way. You could give people the choice of which way they want there anime to be managed, either via the TVDB or Anidb so that way they can choose the best way that fits there library.

Also if Anime where to make it into MP2, there would need to be a separation from TV shows. None of the solutions above can do that currently (except for XBMC via playlist) and this is something often many user will complaint about because Anime needs its own section.

I really hope to see this make it into MP2

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The proper way would be to ask lwerndly if he want's to add a plugin for MP2.

And - by the way - JMMServer is the most advaced way to handle your collection - everything else is a nice try ... and there is no interaction with TVShows in MP1

saitoh183

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    lol...i think your referring to my last line...i didnt mean it in a any way but a request :). JMM is great (never knew about it before) its very advanced indeed and doesnt interact with Tv shows in MP1 because its a plugin but if it were to be in MP2, it would be good if it stayed separate. As most of the other solutions dont do that. The only thing missing from JMM is that you cant add your own artwork, only what it finds. I have JMM desktop installed to get a bit more control but it still lacks that feature. as for everything else being a nice try, Anidb mod scraper for XBMC does just as good of a job as JMM since it also uses Anidb API and i also use a script for sabnzbd that does the same exact detection method as JMM (using HASH) but i have to admit JMM Desktop with server is still very complete :)

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    lol...i think your referring to my last line...i didnt mean it in a any way but a request :). JMM is great (never knew about it before) its very advanced indeed and doesnt interact with Tv shows in MP1 because its a plugin but if it were to be in MP2, it would be good if it stayed separate. As most of the other solutions dont do that. The only thing missing from JMM is that you cant add your own artwork, only what it finds. I have JMM desktop installed to get a bit more control but it still lacks that feature. as for everything else being a nice try, Anidb mod scraper for XBMC does just as good of a job as JMM since it also uses Anidb API and i also use a script for sabnzbd that does the same exact detection method as JMM (using HASH) but i have to admit JMM Desktop with server is still very complete :)

You need to check also the automate sorting of the series - so you only need to put your files in the dropfolder and JMM does the rest. And if there is a file not known you can add it manually. I don't use the desktop but the Plugin most of teh time and the Continue Watching function is a real lifesaver :) - depending of the numbers of shows released every week you have a good chance to loose one. Or even the option to slect a file to download over the plugin (which is nice if you see a missing one in a series so you don't need to exit MP). But yes - xbmc also can do scrapping ;)

Th issue is that lwerndy has no time right now so there is not much happening ...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It would be great if MP2 could natively support Anime the right way without having to rely on plugins. Using Anidb and other Anime sources to scrape Anime in conjuction with TVDB/Fanart.tv for Fanart (Anidb fails in that department). JMM server used with MyAnime could be a source to help bring this into MP2 as well as all the other mods i mentioned above. Mp2 could be the first Media center solution to get Anime right.

All my anime is in this format: Series_name\Series_name - Abs_Eps_num - Eps_title.ext

If your anime is listed on TheTvDb there is a high chance that they are already detected as series. Can you please share some of your folder/file names so I can see if our parsing expression work on them?

If filenames are not unique, you could use MKV tags to add series name, (season) and episode numbers. This will be read out by MP2 and used for online lookup.

As last option you could add your own MetadataExtractor that queries other online sources. You can also add another so called MediaItemAspect (like "AnimeAspect") and store there required information. Finally this could be used to provide an own "top level menu entry" (like current "Movies" and "Series"). This is quite easy to achieve.

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    TMM is able to dedect the series in TVDB (well - 8 out of 10) so this is not the big deal - the thing is as the numbers of new episodes are much bigger than usual TV Series you have different requirements for anime. If I only look at my collection it hold currently 594 Animes Series with each about 22 episodes. This is where JMM comes in place - it has some powerfull features to sort and list the collection. Of course probably most of the animaniacs out there TV series will be enough. But have a look at the project page and see for yourself.

https://code.google.com/p/jmm/

saitoh183

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The problem isnt that the series isnt on TVDB, the problem is that not everyone likes to store there anime in the traditional tv format of TVshow_name\SeasonXX\Eps.ext because lots of people like to setup there anime like they are aired...if they dont have the same title for the sequel/prequel then dont call it a season 2 its a separate title...and TVDB doesnt do that. So having Anidb as the scraper avoid this issue since they treat the shows as separate titles.When you search for anime on torrents or Usenet, they will always be in absolute number format with no seasons (ie Fate Zero - E01 - Blah and not Fate Stay Night -S02E01 - Blah).

saitoh183

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The problem isnt that the series isnt on TVDB, the problem is that not everyone likes to store there anime in the traditional tv format of TVshow_name\SeasonXX\Eps.ext because lots of people like to setup there anime like they are aired...if they dont have the same title for the sequel/prequel then dont call it a season 2 its a separate title...and TVDB doesnt do that. So having Anidb as the scraper avoid this issue since they treat the shows as separate titles.When you search for anime on torrents or Usenet, they will always be in absolute number format with no seasons (ie Fate Zero - E01 - Blah and not Fate Stay Night -S02E01 - Blah).

Right now im pretty sure Mp2 does the same thing since it will use TVDB to detect the Anime.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As last option you could add your own MetadataExtractor that queries other online sources. You can also add another so called MediaItemAspect (like "AnimeAspect") and store there required information. Finally this could be used to provide an own "top level menu entry" (like current "Movies" and "Series"). This is quite easy to achieve.
    Ok, I understand. Then the proposed third way is the one to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom