Completed Another ION HTPC - T.I.B. (1 Viewer)

JiRo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2009
    Prague
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    My Multiseat setup Media Server / Mini-iTX Client I have presented in another thread - Ongoing HTPC Projects. Because client part has completed, I am presenting here too.

My client/server setup profit from functions splitting:

Server - TV receiving, timeshiftig and recording, media and backup server (3,5 TB capacity), UPnP server, print server, ... Main aplications: MediaPortal Server, TVersity
    Client - MediaPortal Client, without any media data - all data are comming from network.
    Network - 1Gbps wired LAN - every room in our hous has minimally two LAN 1Gbps socket

Because server setup does not finished, back to client setup...

Configuration:

Case: Aopen S120A + Slim ODD

Simple design, good and simple internal solution, piano black surface very well correspond with other part (TV Samsung and remote control Logitech - I say T.I.B. - Three in black.

attachment.php

PSU: Zotac brick (AC/DC) and integrated DC PSU on the Zotac motherboard. Very good solution, with the minimal thermal emmision in the case and noiseless of course too!

Motherboard: Mini-iTX Zotac ION A with integrated Intel Atom 330, WiFi card, on board PSU and other, other amazing functions...

RAM: Kingstone DDR II 800MHz 2x1GB

HDD: System WD 1x160GB, Blue Point, SATA

DVD-RW: Sony Optiarc, Slim + slot-in, SATA

Sony Optiarc is good unit with the perfect functionality but with the one big issue - very noisy by the start of unit (after switch-on the PC) specially when CD or DVD is insterted. My wife say: "It is as smithy..." But by the normal operation (CD audio or DVD video reading) is very silent.

Cooling: 3x 60mm Acutake fans

All fans have minimum rpm (1x Atom+ION, 2x case) - ATOM+ION fan is currently switched-off - without negativ influence to case and all cores temperatures.

Other specification:

IR receiver: External USB, MCE compatible (from HFX complet).

The receiver is bonded with double-sided self-adhesive tape to the bottom side of TV.

External connection:

TV is conected with dual interface. Primary monitor with VGA - it I use for the maintenance, secondary monitor with HDMI incl.audio. Both are conected to one TV of course, but with combination with Logitech Harmony One remote I can very simply switch between HTPC and other functions. Wired LAN 1Gbps.

Software:

Windows XP Home SP3
    EventGhost
    Radmin 2.2 for remote maintenance
    Media Portal 1.1 BETA 1 + SVN 24281
    Plugins: MessagePlugin, Infoservice, WebBrowser, OnlineVideos, GameMenu, ExtraMenu, RadioTime, MyLyrics, MPTvSeries, MovingPictures, FanartHandler, HTPCInfo
    Skin: Black Glass, last version - with small own improvement (select weather information in the BasicHome and others...)

attachment.php

TV: LCD Samsung LE40N8

TV is conected to PC with:
    • VGA Primary monitor + Stereo Audio (for system operation, maintenance and future functions) - primary monitor I use for remote maintenance too - via Radmin
    • HDMI Secondary monitor, include audio (for MediaPortal)

Remote control: Logitech Harmony One.

Harmony One by its perfect functions and combination with EventGhost and MediaPortal MessagePlugin is very strong instrument for creation very simple and very efficient way how control not only HTPC but other functions together.

And in the end the one promotional picture:

attachment.php

Attachments

• T.I.B.jpg
      T.I.B.jpg
      152.1 KB
    • Detail.jpg
      Detail.jpg
      187.4 KB
    • Pohled.jpg
      Pohled.jpg
      163.4 KB

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have an acer aspire which is quite similar but without the DVD drive. Hey any chance you could post some more details on what codecs you're using etc? I'm struggling to get mine to playback H.264 content at all.....

JiRo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2009
    Prague
    Home Country
    Hey any chance you could post some more details on what codecs you're using etc? I'm struggling to get mine to playback H.264 content at all.....

Willingly. I use classic combination of filters:

SAF by Hoborg
    Quicktime directshow filter
    PowerDVD9

HD content playback is smooth, ION load is maximally 35%, the highest GPU core temperature was 70°C bye 2 hours playback of HD movie (H.264 1080p). These filters fit for all OnlineVideos Plugin content too.

RSykes

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Wanted to say great HTPC, mine is about 3x size but I have a 4TB storage system also,

I am looking at creating a new smaller quiet and yours looks just the part.

How do you deal with TV input as MB seems to have no PCI slots?

Also noticed you have Black Glass skin, but yours seems to have weather and ticker on homepage how did you manage that?

Thanks
    Robert

JiRo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2009
    Prague
    Home Country
    Hi Robert,
    Thanks. I like my HTPC because I have just it what I wanted - small, compact, perfect design - but not commercial or barebone solution. Nothing against commercial or barebone solution but I love if I can set to work.

How do you deal with TV input as MB seems to have no PCI slots?

I do not need TV receiver because I have multiseat setup and TV receivers are in my server. In the my 1st post is link to another thread (Ongoing projects) where I described my all Client/Server setup.

Also noticed you have Black Glass skin, but yours seems to have weather and ticker on homepage how did you manage that?

RSS ticker is standard part of BasicHome screen completed by its author Tgx (without RSS logo of course - it is my small improvement). The wheater info I added self - a litle editing in BasicHome.xml and one new file common.weather.xml. If you interested about it I can create new post at Black Glass thread. But I must slightly touch up it because I created it as monolingual only :(.

RSykes

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi JiRo,

Yes would be very interested in the changes to get the weather on the BasicHome page.

Thanks

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Nice setup you have there!

Tip: aside of using Radmin, have a look at this for controlling your HTPC: Terminal Server Patch at sala source
    This is very useful when you want to access the system while MP is in use.
    It's a pity that it doesn't work with Vista/W7 anymore.

JiRo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2009
    Prague
    Home Country
    Tip: aside of using Radmin, have a look at this for controlling your HTPC: Terminal Server Patch at sala source
    This is very useful when you want to access the system while MP is in use.

:D for advice. I know it. On the MP Client PC use XP Home and then have three patches there:

1. XP Home to XP pro
    2. Remote Desktop
    3. Terminal Server Patch

But for efficient remote work with MP Client use Radmin often because in this way can work on the logged desktop MediaPortal user. Windows Remote desktop I am using when need work as Administrator. It means, I am going by both ways (RAdmin and of you recommended way too). For all that thanks for your advice again. I am glad you like my setup. I like my setup too very much. :oops:

RubenD

Portal Member
    January 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Nice setup.

I can imagine you would love to get your hands on a nice 5.1 receiver + speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom