Any good ways to achieve quick but high compression of TV Recordings? (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well, the MKV Normal Quality profile turned a 2.25GB, 1hr05min programme into a 906MB file in about 1hr2min and the Universal profile turned a 1.55GB, 1hr5min programme into a 934MB file in about 28mins.

So clearly the MKV Normal Quality profile compressed a lot more but took too long (I think it was using ffmpeg rather than handbrake), whilst the Universal profile was quick enough but didn't compress enough for my liking. I haven't even checked either properly for quality yet but it looks like they haven't been deinterlaced. There doesn't appear to be a setting for that in MCE Buddy so I guess it has to be added as an option to the ffmpeg/handbrake commandlines.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
So has anyone got any tips on tweaking either the MKV Normal Quality profile to speed it up whilst keeping the compression amount the same or the Universal profile to make it compress more without slowing it down. All those parameters mean nothing to me I'm afraid :confused:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I like h264, for best quality use CPU encoding, for faster encoding (with slow cpu) then use gpu encoding, however cpu encoding always looks better than gpu encoding.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I did a convert with MCE Buddy and then with Handbrake and MCE Buddy compressed the 1.2GB file to 683MB and Handbrake got it to 587MB, both in about 35mins.

Comparing the settings used, can anyone tell me which I need to change in MCE Buddy to get the same result?

Handbrake (I used bob deinterlace as it only offers Fast, Slow, Slower, Bob or Custom and I wasn't sure which to choose)
    -t 1 --angle 1 -c 1 -e x264 -f m4v --deinterlace="bob" -w 720 --loose-anamorphic --modulus 2 -q 20 --vfr -a 1,2 --x264-preset=veryfast --x264-profile=main --h264-level="4.0" --verbose=1

MCE Buddy:
    handbrake-general=--loose-anamorphic --verbose=2 -f mp4 -4
    handbrake-video=--start-at duration:3 -e x264 -X 720 –loose-anamorphic -m -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:weightp=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:subme=6 -f mp4 -O -I -q 20

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    I know this isn't a helpful answer, but after pursuing this for a while myself, I just decided not to bother.

Hard drive are coming down so fast that it just doesn't seem worth compressing TV Recordings.

4tb is now at £125 and by the time that is full they will probably be at £75.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST4..._2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377272509&sr=8-2&keywords=4tb

TV recordings are still likely to be smaller in size that ripped Blu Rays anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom