Anyone using case - Antec Fusion Remote? (1 Viewer)

0ldfart

October 11, 2009
1. Drive bays - fitting an extra 3.5" drive
The specs state 2x 3.5" and 1x 5.25" bays. From the photos ive seen of the inside of the case it looks like theres actually space for two 5.25" drives, but only one opening at the front of the case. Is there space under the top 5.25" drive bay to mount a 3.5" drive using adapter brackets?

2. passive cooling
Ive seen posts around about using a large heatsync and the airflow from the two side case fans as the cooling for the machine. I wanted to know how people who have done this have gone during warmer weather. I am thinking of a 5050e and a Scythe Ninja mini with the two side case fans set on low. Can anyone confirm that this config works?

F3NG3R

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 15, 2009
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I cannot answer your first question. But I know that the LCD is mounted in the end of the upper 5.25" drive bay, and you might be able to fit an extra HDD depending on the brackets you use.

I have a 5050e with the Scythe Ninja Mini cooler and the two side fans on low, and my system has been running stable since april... I have not done very much testing or temperaturmonitoring, but when I write this my systems idle temps according to SpeedFan are:

GPU: 59C
    Temp1: 36C
    Temp2: 32C
    Temp3: -128C
    HD0: 29C
    HD1: 29C
    Core: 6C
    Core: 59C

I find the two side fans a little noisy so I have just ordered two arctic F12 Pro TC fans which I hope will keep my computer quiet most of the time.

RubenK

July 10, 2008
    Zwolle
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    My HTPC is housed in an Antec Fusion and I can confirm it works like a charm with only the side case fans on 'low'. I'm using an AMD X2 5000+ Black Edition - so my CPU has nearly twice the Thermal Design Power than the 5050e - and still never had any problems with the temperature. The CPU cooler is an Scythe Mini Ninja without a fan (not-so-mini in this case ;)). Also present in the case is an ATI Radeon 2600 from Sapphire, also passively cooled. That one does have a tendency to reach higher temperatures, but still nothing to worry about!

The extra HDD in the 5,25" compartment -- I think it will fit with the right adaptor (i.e.: Nexus DiskTwin), the mounting holes are there, and there's ample room to fit a 3,5" HDD. The only thing you should keep in mind is that there will be practically no airflow in the 5.25" compartment, so you better pick an HDD which doesn't get hot.

Gusete

Portal Member
    May 18, 2009
    Madrid
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    1. Same configuration as the above with the Ninja Mini fanless and the two case fans in low setting: Runs cool and quite silent. I have the case quite far away though so maybe getting two Noctuas or another silent fans can help if you are close to the box.

2. Regarding the hard discs i have 4 Western Digital Green series in my setup. One below the drive bay and another one that seats just above the PSU with a simple piece of cork as insulator in between them... they do not get hot even during summer time, and I live in Spain. The system has been running Media Portal without a single hardware problem for almost two years with the onboard HD3200 that came with my asus 780g and it is up for about 10 hours a day.

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have the same case, replaced all the fans with Noctua ones as they are MUCH quieter than the antec ones. Also I have a seagate 80GB 3.5in HDD fitted in the 5.25 slot behind the VFD and its been fine. I use it as the OS disk with my two other disks for storage and timeshifting/recording.

I would recommend if you do go with one to got in the 5.25 slot, get a 2.5in notebook drive as they are so much quieter.

eleknader

February 11, 2010
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Have any of you mapped out the remote to work with Mediaportal?

I have the remote working completely. There was nothing special to do: I updated iMon software, the first update was a downloadable zip file. I had to remove the iMon version delivered with Antec case first, then installed the newer version.

iMon updated automatically (I set the updates on) to the newest version.

Open iMon manager after updates,
    Program commands->Add application (did find Mediaportal automatically)

Everything works as expected.

The problem for me is that I can't get the Front display to work. I don't even know the type, got it blinking
    but that's it. Anyone who could help on that?

My case is ANTEC FUSION REMOTE-EU

Cheers, Eleknader

The problem for me is that I can't get the Front display to work.

Shamelessly speaking to myself, but I actually got the Frontview to work with Mediaportal! Too bad I lost
    the remote control mappings while doing it, but the remote works so I just need to find a way to restore
    the mappings or to manually correct them in iMon manager.

This is how I did it:

Downloaded iMon version 7.20 (I read somewhere that newer versions do not support MP, don't know if this is true

Removed newer version of iMon, installed 7.20. Unchecked all frontview message options, otherwise iMon steals the
    display from MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom