Apple IR receiver and old Hauppauge remote (1 Viewer)

JulioQc

Portal Member
November 17, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hello,

I run a MP 1.5 TV client on my MacBook Pro (running Win7 x64) which has a built-in IR receiver (drivers installed). I also have an old Hauppage remote from an old analog tuner (image) id like to recycle by using it with my setup.

I'm a bit confused on how to get this whole setup working and would appreciate help on where to start to get it working. Did a bit of Google searching and reading on this forum. I think ill need to install IRSS or iMon at some point but im confused afterward! lol

Thanks!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello JulioQc

First, remotes and IR receivers are not necessarily compatible. They can use different transmit and receive frequencies. You may get lucky; you may not.

Have you been able to confirm that the IR receiver is working?
    How does the IR receiver appear in device manager (ie. is it an HID device, and is it using the eHome driver)?

mm

JulioQc

Portal Member
    November 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Have you been able to confirm that the IR receiver is working?
    mm

No, as I dont have the original Apple remote (sold separately of course lol)

How does the IR receiver appear in device manager (ie. is it an HID device, and is it using the eHome driver)?
    mm

Yes its listed under HID devices as "Apple IR Receiver". It uses an Apple driver (provided by bootcamp I believe)

If you know if any small USB dongle IR device that would work, that would be an acceptable alternative :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No, as I dont have the original Apple remote (sold separately of course lol)
    Sometimes some buttons on HID remotes produce key presses that regular applications like notepad can receive. EventGhost is also great for checking this sort of thing. I'd try out EG rather than IRSS. There is some advice here that may or may not be helpful:
    http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=483

Yes its listed under HID devices as "Apple IR Receiver". It uses an Apple driver (provided by bootcamp I believe)
    According to the above linked thread, you may want to try switching to the generic driver. If you can get EG detecting button presses then the problem is at least half way solved.

If you know if any small USB dongle IR device that would work, that would be an acceptable alternative :)
    I'm not saying what you have right now won't work; just that there is no guarantee. The only way to know is to try. :)

JulioQc

Portal Member
    November 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks! Very helpful threads but it doesn't seem the IR receiver picks up the remote IR signal from the remote in EG... (yes, batteries are new lol)

I suppose they work on different frequencies like you mentionned :( Ill buy a Microsoft MCE remote... it just sucks to waste a brand new remote... (or maybe an actual Apple remote)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't know if you know this trick. If you have a web-cam, you can make sure an IR remote is working by viewing the webcam output, pointing the remote at the webcam, then pressing buttons. You should see light emitted from the IR LED on the end of the remote when you press buttons.

If you confirm the remote is working and EG is still not picking up anything even in the raw view and after performing the tweaks recommended in those threads... yeah, I guess at that point I'd admit defeat.

JulioQc

Portal Member
    November 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Did know the trick, didnt think yo use it! Thanks for the reminder :)

The remote does work so its time for plan B! Ill work around with my F710 & wireless keyboard on the HTPC for now, maybe by an actual Apple remote for the MacBook later (im still looking for other remotes confirmed working but no luck so far)

Those threads on EG might come in handy later! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom