Are "Manual" Wiki files downloadable as one file? (1 Viewer)

patla

January 10, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Are "Manual" Wiki files downloadable as one file(not the forum files, but the UserGuides, etc.)? The wiki is great but should not be a replacement for a complete downloadable manual. Is that possible to DL the entire wiki "Manual?"
thanks

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Are "Manual" Wiki files downloadable as one file(not the forum files, but the UserGuides, etc.)?
    no
    The wiki is great but should not be a replacement for a complete downloadable manual.
    the problem is that writing manuals is not very popular. which means that only a few ppl are spending their freetime to keep it at least a bit up to date. :(

WE REALY NEED HELP THERE!

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Hi,

I've been trying to update odd page on the wiki as I've come across corrections to make, update links etc.

I'd be happy to do more work to help out.

Is there a list anywhere of work to be done / missing pages etc.?

Regards

Derek

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Are "Manual" Wiki files downloadable as one file(not the forum files, but the UserGuides, etc.)?
    no

Actually, YES they are. But to use this "download" as a offline documentation will require work. I see two possibilities:
    • A proper "backup" of the Wiki would contain all content in it's wiki format. I don't know if an offline version of MoinMoinWiki exists which could be used to display the files as an offline help file.
    • Another possibility is a so-called "web page scraper", which could download the pages in HTML code and create a HTML-based helpfile of it. Again, I don't know if such software already exists.
    In my experience, option 2 would have the biggest chance. Could probably even be done with a simple scriptfile on any machine with client-side access to the Wiki.

The wiki is great but should not be a replacement for a complete downloadable manual.
    the problem is that writing manuals is not very popular. which means that only a few ppl are spending their freetime to keep it at least a bit up to date. :(

Come to think of it, MediaPortal does not come with an included manual, which I think is a big miss. But does it really have to be an offline manual? How about a MediaPortal plugin that can access the MediaPortal wiki? (Possibly just read-only to start with.) Actually sounds like a great idea to me!

I am helping! 124 edits in the last 30 days! :cool:

Is there a list anywhere of work to be done / missing pages etc.?

A list of "missing pages", which may be a bit overwhelming, can be found here: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/WantedPages

But the best approach I think is just use the wiki to find information you need, and along the way create missing pages, correct errors, and extend where needed.

madsrh

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2006
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Come to think of it, MediaPortal does not come with an included manual, which I think is a big miss. But does it really have to be an offline manual? How about a MediaPortal plugin that can access the MediaPortal wiki? (Possibly just read-only to start with.) Actually sounds like a great idea to me!

Online wiki as plugin for MP - fantastic idea! Make it read-only I say! Perhaps more users would use wiki and more users write/update it. I still think it would be nice, if you could download the manual as one complete PDF file and if you like, print it - but I see your point pbb.

MadsRH

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Im working on a system to export the whole wiki once a day for offline browsing (html). Nearly finished, just some small improvements needed.
    As the wiki includes a lot of images and attachments expect a filesize of about 15MB (max compression)...

btw.: great job pbb!

reagan+carter

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    Nantes, FR
    hello high,
    i would be really interested in a pdf output, rather than pure html only.
    in order to provide readable pdf from html, both html2ps and ps2pdf could be used perhaps. it's not always pretty clean but it usually works. maybe a neater solution would be to rely on htmldoc but i've never used this one, and therefore can't gauge its ability to deliver accurate pdfs.

high said:
    Im working on a system to export the whole wiki once a day for offline browsing (html).
    once a week would be enough. don't you think so?

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi, MoinMoin has a htmldoc plugin but htmldoc just can convert one single wikipage to a pdf. This is already implemented, just the link has to be added.
    For testing add "?action=CreatePdfDocument" after each link.

The moinmoin export function generates pure html files which can be browsed offline, but 1 html-page per wiki-page. So just porting each of them to PDF wont help as it would be fully unstructered.

once a week would be enough. don't you think so?
    damn, I wanted to write 'once a week' ;) Youre right, daily wouldnt make any sence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom