ATI TV Wonder 650 (1 Viewer)

bbomer

February 28, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello,

I have not yet tried MediaPortal, but I plan to install it soon and give it a shot as my PVR software of choice (currently just using MCE 2005).

Does it work with the ATI TV Wonder 650 tuner card?
Does it support both the analog and digital (ATSC) tuners of this card?

Currently the TV Wonder 650 is the only tuner card I have, so if MediaPortal doesn't support this card I will have to wait until I get different hardware to try it out.

Thanks,
Brad

john4780

Portal Member
March 2, 2007
I just bought one today. The card works fine with Mediaportal. However, it does take a little bit of time (couple of seconds) switching from Analog channels to HD channels and the other way around.

The card offers a great picture, I think the analog side looks better than my tv's analog tuner!

For HD signals, you will need to an amplified antenna. It also comes with and offer for a free ATI TV wonder remote or 50% the Microsoft Remote. Not sure which remote I will get yet.

Let me know what happens.

bbomer

February 28, 2007
Home Country
I agree with you about changing the channel. The 650 does take a noticeable amount of time to switch from digital to analog or vice versa.

I have had a different experience with ATSC reception. I have found that my old non-powered antenna that I had laying around in my basement works just as well as the fancy powered antennas from Ghetto Shack (granted, those were not high quality antennas). Ether way, under fair weather conditions I can get all my locals so I'm pretty happy.

I have the Microsoft MCE remote (the newer one). I have been very pleased with it, though I have not yet used it with Media Portal (just MCE). If you ever plan on trying out any version of MCE you might as well go with Microsoft remote.

Klept

Portal Pro
January 9, 2007
Utah
Home Country
The card works fine with Mediaportal. However, it does take a little bit of time (couple of seconds) switching from Analog channels to HD channels and the other way around.

I'm running this card too. I just got MP setup where I'll be using it and am pretty much done testing. I'm happy. I'm aware of the lag time switching between analog and digital so I plan on just sorting my channels to all analog, then all digital.

Klept

Portal Pro
January 9, 2007
Utah
Home Country
Thats the exact same thing I did. Other than that, the card is wonderful. Great picture and great sound!

I was a little unsure about this card until I updated my graphics card to 6600gt. It REALLY shined then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom