ATI X850 bad with MP? (1 Viewer)

TobiasRX

October 20, 2006
Hi

This is my first post here.

I currently don't have an HTPC but a normal PC with a ATI X850 graphics card.

I recently got MP and was very happy that it worked perfectly with everything.

But when i was starting to watch an Xvid movie my graphics card fan started spinning at max wich is very loud and annoying.
I didnt find a sollution to this other than to not watch xvid in MP cause it's quiet if i use WMP.

Does anyone know if there is a solution other than a more quiet graphics card?

muuu

October 21, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi
I think MP is using DirectX.
When using driectx the video driver goes to performence mode, and the graphics card will work harder, therfor it will need more cooling.

Im using a "Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer" on my card (Its a ATI x800GTO), it will stil spinning faster when it needs to, but the vga cooler i quiet even at full speed.

So just get a silent vga cooler ;)

Or try "ATITool" or "ATI Tray Tools", i know that ATITool can controle the fanspeed, you can give it a try.

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
http://www.guru3d.com/article/atitraytools/189/

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I've got an X800 Pro on my game computer but I mounted a Zalman VF-700 on it and the temperature and noise lowered.

I'm using Ati Tool, you can set some range (E.G. <50° minimal speed, 50° < X < 70° middle and >70° fullspeed.)

I don't think controlling fan is very dangerous :)

TobiasRX

October 20, 2006
I've just installed ATItool and it seems like a very good program, but now when controlling my fani get a hihg frequency sound coming from the card. Should i be worried about this? If not it is still annoying.

TobiasRX

October 20, 2006
i searched at the atitool forum and found out that it was a problem with that specific version that i had DL'd, got the latest beta and it worked alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom