Atmolight via rs232 over ip (1 Viewer)

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Imo, Boblight/Hyperion only makes sense if you want to also grab other video sources (e.g. from Playstation) or if you want/need to have the Ambilight over network (wired or wireless).
    I personaly like the colors of AtmoWin better aswell as the smoothing. True AtmoWin is quite buggy and feels like an old outdated software, but as soon as you have set everything up right, it runs perfectly with the best results imo.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Well i have no complains regarding AtmoWin but would love to try out other software. I did try to get AmbiBox working but failed. I just cannot get a sketch that will work with my arduino. In any case i use my leds only for watching movies over my HTPC. But thanx for the info although i would still love to try out ambibox, settings like ''no leds in corners'' are fitting my setup and i would like to see how they perform in action. So anyone with a working arduino sketch for ambibox?

Sorry for the offtopic guys.

Last edited:

kdschlosser

Portal Member
    February 26, 2015
    Evergreen CO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    what you had just said about atomlight still being in action makes it work with HDCP if an HDMI splitter were to be used to feed the pi. then there would be an issue. and I am not understanding about not needing to learn the Pi. still have to get the LED's and connect them still have install bob onto the pi unless it comes pre installed???

this topic is so off base. I just want to know why does atmowin give an error 2 when opening a port. i do not want to know anything about a raspberry pi. i do not own one nor am i going to purchase one at this point. i already have what i need to do this job. there is a software problem with opening a port and I need to know what the error means. i figured this would be easier then sifting through the code to fix it. but my question just seems to be getting deflected.

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    what you had just said about atomlight still being in action makes it work with HDCP if an HDMI splitter were to be used to feed the pi. then there would be an issue.
    I have said it at least twice now, HDCP is no problem. A HDMI splitter isnt even being used in what i suggested.

this topic is so off base. I just want to know why does atmowin give an error 2 when opening a port. i do not want to know anything about a raspberry pi. i do not own one nor am i going to purchase one at this point. i already have what i need to do this job. there is a software problem with opening a port and I need to know what the error means. i figured this would be easier then sifting through the code to fix it. but my question just seems to be getting deflected.
    Ok, lets make it real simple for you then.

Currently nobody is working on AtmoWin. Therefore nobody will probably be able to answer your question. You will have to go through the code yourself if you want to get this to work. Im sorry i tried to give you an alternative.

Good luck :)

kdschlosser

Portal Member
    February 26, 2015
    Evergreen CO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    atmowin ---> ambibox ----> Serial over IP ----> that 5 dollar wifi card (ESP8266) ----> Arduino.

400 or so lines of code to get the ESP8266 running properly, with auto reconnect features and all. soft serial also supported for debug using another Arduino to capture the data. I am sure if I spent more time since the ESP8266 does allow 4 connections I could seperate the streams and allow debugging over wifi also.

This is with an Arduino Uno and also works with an Arduino Mega 2560

The code is rough right now. I am sure i can slim it out a lot. in the future maybe.

and I know that this thing isn't even using the full potential of that wificard when the card is in bitbang mode. I have seen the datastream that can come through over wifi. and what ambibox is sending isn't even close to the same speed or amount of data. don't know why it was made to stream like that tho. all those \r\n time consuming and occupies bandwidth. should have been shot as one line for all LED's even with if you figure 2 extra bytes per led. and 256 addressable strings. I have not even a clue what the maximum led's per string is. and i don't know why the stream is analog also. even if the LED doesn't change it's sending data for it.
    I can see where this might not run fast enough. if you have a whole heap of LED's. a lot of wasted processing and bandwidth. see how it will run after i get the screen in and a couple hundred LED's

well it works. just strange how it was done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom