Atom D525/2550 vs Celeron 847 for TV server (1 Viewer)

bhengeveld

Portal Pro
December 11, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
your opinions on the following scenarios would be greatly appreciated!

I want to install a multiseat system in our new home; We're watching HDTV (1080i) via IPTV. The server has to serve max 3 clients and will only be used a TV server. The idea is to build a 1U 19 inch case with a mini itx board with onboard CPU and 2 LAN ports, to make it energy efficient

Now I can choose from two options that are available to me
1. Use a 1,8 GHz atom processor (D525/2550) with a max of 4 GB of RAM
OR
2. a 1,1 GHz Celeron 847 with a max of 16GB RAM.

Option 1 would work quite ok, since I've tried running a TV server on a 1,3 GHz atom board and that works quite well, also the Atom is a bit more energy efficient than the celeron.

Concerning option 2 I could install 16GB of RAM and use something like Ramdisk with 12 GB for timeshifting, which I reckon would be the fastest option timeshift wise. But I don't know wether the Celeron would be powerful enough to get windows 7 and TV server running smoothly while serving multiple clients.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I'm using a Celeron 847 as TV Server, MediaPortal 2 Server, MySQL Server, Webserver, jDownloader and Torrent Client at the same time. I have 8 GB of RAM with a 4 GB RAM Disk (IMDisk). The Celeron is more than two times faster than an Atom D525 and uses exact the same amount of energy. So for me the choice is/was absolutely simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom