[Bug] ATSC channels scanned into DB with old version, don't work with 1.2B (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again David

Okay, that makes more sense - so you're trying just trying to get channels that work and that have EPG. Pretty reasonable. :)

I had MP working (version 1.2) but could not get any EPG
    I joined SchdulesDirect then downloaded the SchdulesDirect plugin.
    That is pretty normal for North America. In other parts of the world EPG is actually broadcasted over the air. MP is mostly geared up to receive EPG that way. SchedulesDirect seems to be a pretty common way to get EPG if you're in the US...

After a day or so some channels were correct and some were mixed up.

I download MP1.1.3.0 in hopes it would clean up and it did not. I read a posts that said let SchedulesDirect find the correct channels. I deleted all the channels in setup and checked the box in SchedulesDirect to automatically add new digital cable/satellite channels with External Video Input for new channels: as "Tuner" I also checked the box, Include analog channels.
    SchedulesDirect found all my channels but marked them all as analog. In MP channels and guides were present however after selecting "Channel" the channels had a brown box with a crossed circle in lieu of a green box with a check mark, therefore not viewable.
    Okay, so SchedulesDirect doesn't actually do any scanning. It knows what channels are theoretically available in your area and adds them MP. That is great because "scanning" is really quick, but it might not always be correct and it doesn't do any of the regular channel <--> tuner linking that MP does automatically when you do a scan using the actual tuners. In this instance the brown/red box with the crossed icon was telling you that the channels are not linked to a tuner. As you have found out, all that you needed to do to get the channels working was simply to map them to the appropriate tuner (again, this wiki link explains how to do that).

Back in setup (TV-server configuration) selecting "TV Channels" channels were listed and in the column marked "Mapped Cardtypes" the display showed "Channel not mapped to a card." I found in this post on an earlier comment that scanning would correct the problem.

I selected "TV Servers/office/Analog ATI AVStream" and selected "Scan for TV channels." The results were more channels in MP. I could watch the newly scanned channels without program guide and the channels with program guide were not viewable.
    The results that you got there are to be expected. MP can't link the channels that you imported with SchedulesDirect to the channels that it found in the scan - the names would have to match, and so far as I know analog scanning can't pick up names. Again, all you would have had to do was to map the SD imported channels to your analog tuner.

I deleted all the channels again and started over letting SchedulesDirect scan.
    Then in setup I selected "TV Channels/TV Mapping" and selected ATI AVStream Analog Tuner. I selected all the items on the left and selected ">>" to put them on the right. Low and behold I had program guides and viewable channels in MP but only for the analog channels.
    Yep, that is the easiest way to do things. :)

Back in setup I selected "TV Channels/TV Mapping" and selected ATI BDA Digital Tuner. The Available channels list was empty.
    Okay, so clearly SD is either not importing the digital channels, or it is setting them up as analog channels. That could be a problem...

Next I selected "TV Servers/office/ATSC ATI BDA Digital Tuner and selected "Scan for channels"
    Back to "TV Channels/TV Mapping" selecting ATI BDA Digital Tuner and Available channels were visible. I selected all the channels and ">>" to move them to the right.
    Yep, that is the right thing to do.

In MP the analog channels still worked, program guide was available and the channels were selectable and viewable. Programming guide for digital channels found by SchdulesDirect were not mapped and digital channels found by scanning in setup could be viewed in MP without program guides.

In all cases, in setup I could select "TV Channels" highlight a channel and select preview and see the channel in a box.

All this said, here is where it is left:
    analog channels are viewable and have program guides.
    digital channels are listed in the program guide as analog and are not mapped.
    digital channels found by scanning in setup are not listed in the program guide but are viewable in MP.
    So here you have a problem with SchedulesDirect, *not* with MP. SchedulesDirect seems to be creating analog channels when it should be creating digital channels. MP won't let you map analog channels to a digital tuner.

I am sure I have done something wrong or in the wrong order, just can't figure out what.
    Again, your problem is with SchedulesDirect. I'd say this part is wrong:

...and checked the box in SchedulesDirect to automatically add new digital cable/satellite channels with External Video Input for new channels: as "Tuner" I also checked the box, Include analog channels...

According to this post you're not meant to tick that "automatically add..." box. You should let TV Server configuration find your QAM channels and let SD try to map the channels that you found with the channels it has guide data for.

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi again David

Okay, that makes more sense - so you're trying just trying to get channels that work and that have EPG. Pretty reasonable. :)

I had MP working (version 1.2) but could not get any EPG
    I joined SchdulesDirect then downloaded the SchdulesDirect plugin.
    That is pretty normal for North America. In other parts of the world EPG is actually broadcasted over the air. MP is mostly geared up to receive EPG that way. SchedulesDirect seems to be a pretty common way to get EPG if you're in the US...

After a day or so some channels were correct and some were mixed up.

I download MP1.1.3.0 in hopes it would clean up and it did not. I read a posts that said let SchedulesDirect find the correct channels. I deleted all the channels in setup and checked the box in SchedulesDirect to automatically add new digital cable/satellite channels with External Video Input for new channels: as "Tuner" I also checked the box, Include analog channels.
    SchedulesDirect found all my channels but marked them all as analog. In MP channels and guides were present however after selecting "Channel" the channels had a brown box with a crossed circle in lieu of a green box with a check mark, therefore not viewable.
    Okay, so SchedulesDirect doesn't actually do any scanning. It knows what channels are theoretically available in your area and adds them MP. That is great because "scanning" is really quick, but it might not always be correct and it doesn't do any of the regular channel <--> tuner linking that MP does automatically when you do a scan using the actual tuners. In this instance the brown/red box with the crossed icon was telling you that the channels are not linked to a tuner. As you have found out, all that you needed to do to get the channels working was simply to map them to the appropriate tuner (again, this wiki link explains how to do that).

The results that you got there are to be expected. MP can't link the channels that you imported with SchedulesDirect to the channels that it found in the scan - the names would have to match, and so far as I know analog scanning can't pick up names. Again, all you would have had to do was to map the SD imported channels to your analog tuner.

Yep, that is the easiest way to do things. :)

Okay, so clearly SD is either not importing the digital channels, or it is setting them up as analog channels. That could be a problem...

Yep, that is the right thing to do.

So here you have a problem with SchedulesDirect, *not* with MP. SchedulesDirect seems to be creating analog channels when it should be creating digital channels. MP won't let you map analog channels to a digital tuner.

I am sure I have done something wrong or in the wrong order, just can't figure out what.
    Again, your problem is with SchedulesDirect. I'd say this part is wrong:

...and checked the box in SchedulesDirect to automatically add new digital cable/satellite channels with External Video Input for new channels: as "Tuner" I also checked the box, Include analog channels...

According to this post you're not meant to tick that "automatically add..." box. You should let TV Server configuration find your QAM channels and let SD try to map the channels that you found with the channels it has guide data for.

Thanks, I read the post you suggested and nzdreamer55 is having the same problem I am having except he does not have a digital tuner, only analog. He solved his problem by going back to MP 1.1.0.0. I find MP 1.1.3.0 and SD works fine for analog.

Sorry about the logs I posted them on a previous post. I did not know I needed to repost on each reply. A few things have changed since my last post. I had the box in setup/Plugins/SchedulesDirect EPG Client/Advanced Options/"Delete channels when removed from lineup" checked and it may have deleted the channels found by scanning in setup/TV Servers/office/ATSC ATI BDA Digital Tuner" because when I select in setup TV Channels/TV Mapping/ATI BDA Digital Tuner the list on both sides is now empty and they do not show up in MP.

When I scan channels in setup with SD trying to match channels the guide is spotty and most channels are miss linked. When I let SD find the channels, the analog channels seem to work correctly. Only the digital channels are messed up.

In the TV.log file channels 3-76 are analog, 201-205, 235-349 are digital, 100-148, 350-365 are digital scrambled. The rest I am not sure.

Attachments

• log-dmays-05222011-0419CST.zip
      569.5 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks, I read the post you suggested and nzdreamer55 is having the same problem I am having except he does not have a digital tuner, only analog. He solved his problem by going back to MP 1.1.0.0. I find MP 1.1.3.0 and SD works fine for analog.
    I figured as much...

Sorry about the logs I posted them on a previous post. I did not know I needed to repost on each reply.
    You don't need to repost on every reply, however your original logs were very long, so it was kinda hard to figure out what was going on.

A few things have changed since my last post. I had the box in setup/Plugins/SchedulesDirect EPG Client/Advanced Options/"Delete channels when removed from lineup" checked and it may have deleted the channels found by scanning in setup/TV Servers/office/ATSC ATI BDA Digital Tuner" because when I select in setup TV Channels/TV Mapping/ATI BDA Digital Tuner the list on both sides is now empty and they do not show up in MP.
    Right, so you'll have to rescan with TV Server to pick them up again.

When I scan channels in setup with SD trying to match channels the guide is spotty and most channels are miss linked. When I let SD find the channels, the analog channels seem to work correctly. Only the digital channels are messed up.
    Unfortunately I don't know enough about SchedulesDirect to be able to help you much further. Surely there must be a way to edit the mapping between SD EPG data channels and MP channels so that you can link the right data with the channels that TV Server finds in the scan. It could be by channel name or major/minor channel numbers or something.

Anybody else got any suggestions?

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    I figured as much...

Sorry about the logs I posted them on a previous post. I did not know I needed to repost on each reply.
    You don't need to repost on every reply, however your original logs were very long, so it was kinda hard to figure out what was going on.

A few things have changed since my last post. I had the box in setup/Plugins/SchedulesDirect EPG Client/Advanced Options/"Delete channels when removed from lineup" checked and it may have deleted the channels found by scanning in setup/TV Servers/office/ATSC ATI BDA Digital Tuner" because when I select in setup TV Channels/TV Mapping/ATI BDA Digital Tuner the list on both sides is now empty and they do not show up in MP.
    Right, so you'll have to rescan with TV Server to pick them up again.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about SchedulesDirect to be able to help you much further. Surely there must be a way to edit the mapping between SD EPG data channels and MP channels so that you can link the right data with the channels that TV Server finds in the scan. It could be by channel name or major/minor channel numbers or something.

Anybody else got any suggestions?

My suspicion, it is something to do with the dual tuner card. I wonder if it works on systems with two cards one analog and one digital? Maybe, I could disable my analog card and see if it finds digital channels. I'll give it a go and post back. Should I delete all logs before I start? Should I change the logs verbosity?

Thanks for the help. I hope we figure this out.
    David

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    This is a completely unrelated problem to the one I created the thread for in the first place. Since the thread has been acknowledged as Bug, could a mod please split this new discussion off to it's own thread?

Since you're having a problem with Schedules Direct, the shed direct thread is probably the best place for help. If you've updated to 1.2B, you also need to update the SD plugin to the one from googlecode, as the 1.2B compliant version is not in the SD thread - at least it wasn't last I looked.

I'm running 3 hybrid dual tuners (2A & 2D tuners on each card), and have no problems with the SD mapping, so the problem you're having is not brought upon you by the dual tuners.

I typed up some instructions for SD a long time ago, and posted them to post 397 of the sched direct thread. This method has always worked for me. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...d-august-2010-a-26951/index40.html#post395921

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    OK, I have mine working. It took a moment to figure out. Deleting unmapped channels did not work. I had to use the channel assignment from SD not the TV card and directly enter in the database. Note the entry for 24-2 KLTS shows 32083.265.schedulesdirect.org with 32083 coming from the third column and 265 coming from the leftmost column at SD. I download mySQL Workbench 5.2 CE to make the modifications. I am attaching two jpg files, one shows SD information and the other shows the mptvdb information for the channel table. The ONLY field I changed was the externalid or externalld I can't read the small print. I hope this helps someone else. Thanks for your help.

I am still not sure why this does not automatically pick up. Oh well - such is life.

Thanks for everyone's help. I learned far more than I originally planned.

Attachments

• FixDTVSD-SQL File Information.JPG
      FixDTVSD-SQL File Information.JPG
      71.9 KB
    • FixDTVSD-SD Channel Listing.JPG
      FixDTVSD-SD Channel Listing.JPG
      107.7 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom