[confirm] ATSC scanning problem (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Does the fact that 16.7 now shows up in the TV section instead of Radio, where it always went before, have something to do with the changes you made to allow CHCH to slip through the standards check?
    I hadn't noticed that. No it shouldn't do, but it might be a mistake in the original TVLibrary.dll patch that I provided.

23-08-2011 21:58:32.265 3) p: s: onid: 0 tsid: 88b sid: 7 major: 0 minor: 0 freq: 0 type: 0 pmt: 70 othermux:0 freeca:0 hasVideo:0 hasAudio:1

Service type is not known as the channel is not contained in the VCT. Given that the PMT says there are audio streams but no video streams it should have been put into the radio section. I'll also look further into that this evening.

mm

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I will alert the rest of the team to this thread but unfortunately it may be too late to fix these problems in 1.2.0rc. Nevertheless, could you please try the patch at your earliest possible convenience. I would like to find a solution as fast as possible in case the team do agree to sneak it into 1.2.0rc.

So mm,

Any chance any of this will make it in to 1.2RC?

If not, could you provide updated patches for 1.2RC, or are the ones you provided already based on the latest SVN, and suitable for use in 1.2RC?

Another local station made the switch today, firing up their post transition digital transmitter on a different frequency than their transitional digital transmitter (but same as their original analogue RF assignment). MP, with your patched files, was able to add the station in no problem. Thanks for helping make the transition smoother.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi x4mer

Any chance any of this will make it in to 1.2RC?
    As I think I said earlier, the first patch that is the most important will be included. The patch for RF 11 is too late and I haven't yet managed to figure out why it is still taking 20 seconds to scan. The channel names one is also too late, but I'm going to try and push that into 1.2.1.

I can try and provide a combined patch for the two patches that didn't make it in after 1.2.0rc is released. The difficulty for me is that there are quite a few people such as yourself who will be asking for updated patches of various shapes and forms. Please nag me until you get what you need from me! :D

mm

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    When you get a chance please mm. I see you are quite busy on the forums, let alone providing patches.

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi x4mer

:D for your patience.
    Patch for RF 11 and channel names attached as requested.

mm
    :)

Attachments

• TsWriter[1.2.0rc_atsc_scanning].zip
      115.3 KB

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yes, this is again a reflection of the fact that your QAM providers don't seem to broadcast the VCT. Having said that, can we come to some agreement about how channels without name information should be named? It seems people absolutely despise the "Unknown ..." naming pattern. To me it seems completely nonsensical for the broadcasters not to provide names through the VCT or SDT. It also feels unnatural to me to use "<major channel>-<minor channel>" or "<physical channel>-<SID>" but if that is the way things are done over there then we should follow the conventions. The information we have available is (I think):
    - physical channel number
    - frequency
    - service ID

When VCT is provided, we also usually get:
    - major channel number (not sure whether this is the same as physical channel)
    - minor channel number

When VCT is provided, we sometimes get:
    - service name

Thoughts???

mm
    :)

When VCT is present, major channel is almost never the same as physical channel number. Major is used to cause the channel to be seen as their legacy channel number that they used to broadcast in analogue for the last 40+ years. Local stations get to keep their "branding", and remain on a familiar virtual channel. Once the TV tuner or converter box reads in the VCT, people can continue to access their channels using the numbers they're used to, without even knowing that the new digital transmitter is using a completely different frequency.

There are some stations that reverted their digital stations to broadcast on the channel of their analogue service, once analogue was shut down, but they're in the minority. VHF 2-13 was popular for broadcasters in analogue, but has been largely abandoned in digital as they mostly moved to UHF 14-51. Virtually no stations use VHF-Lo 2-6 in N.A. now for digital.

With VCT, Major-Minor is the standard for handling digital channels in N.A., as all TVs and tuner boxes use it, so I would think MP should do the same for channel entry. Without VCT, it's a matter of choice for how MP is to proceed. I vote for Physical-SID. As far as the missing name for the No VCT channels, I don't think it really matters that it's set to unknown as 99% of the time those channels will be encrypted anyway. If the encryption detection can be perfected, then only a handfull of easily recognizable channels would have to be manually renamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom