Audio Full of Static (1 Viewer)

WombatMan

Portal Member
September 25, 2008
I’m having kind of a strange problem with my HTPC and was hoping somebody could help me out. Yesterday I set up my HTPC using MediaPortal and, for the most part, it’s working great. I’m using a ZOTAC GeForce 8300 motherboard (here's a tweaktown review of my board with more info). This motherboard has two variations, one with onboard HDMI, and one that comes with a DVI-to-HDMI adapter. I have the one with the adapter (bought second-hand, not my choice), and am plugging it into my 42” TV using a standard HDMI cable. The problem I’m having is with the audio. I didn’t even know until yesterday that you could run audio through a DVI port, but there ya’ go.

I’m using MediaPortal to play music, TV shows & movies that I’ve downl… uh, acquired. When I play the TV shows, it works exactly as expected, everything looks and sounds great. However, when I try to play a movie or any of my MP3’s, there’s a ton of static in the audio and it’s not even worth trying to watch. Here’s some more info that may or may not be helpful:

• The static is not constant, it’s only when there is actual noise. For example, when it’s a quiet part in the movie, there is no static, it’s only when there is noise.
  • The motherboard has an on-board GeForce 8300 that will do audio and video, and I have everything running through that.
  • The motherboard DOES have an 8-channel sound card built-in, but I don’t have an adapter to convert that connection to an RCA audio connection I can use. Furthermore, I’m not even sure such an adapter exists, but I imagine it does.
  • I'm running Windows XP, and have set up my audio options both in Windows and inside MediaPortal to use the GeForce HD Audio rather than the on-board sound card
  • I've made sure that I have all the latest drivers for my PC

Has anybody come across this problem or have any insight to offer?

frenzy

Portal Pro
April 29, 2008
Home Country
France France
I don't know what it could be, but I suggest you start to narrow it down a little. Put on your headphones and test if it's the same with the onboard sound card. If it is you know it's not a hardware or driver problem and you should look at codecs and the windows installation. If it disappears when you switch to the onboard card you probably have to configure the sound driver properly or some codecs.

Btw you don't have to set the audio inside MP. Just set the sound card you want as default in windows and for MP select the default direct sound output.

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi WombatMan,

I had a similar issue, and did basically what frenzy suggested. Set up the sound card (or on-board sound) in Windows.

My settings:
    Audio Renderer = Default DirectSound Device
    Audio Codec = MPC - MPA Audio Decoder Filter

I use these settings for all audio-related tasks - music, TV, DVD etc. They can be set from the home screen 'Settings' menu or the MP configuration app.

Hope this helps :)

blocka

August 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi,

I've just setup MP 1.12.0 as an alternative to WMC given Windows 10 no longer supports WMC.

I've got static as well when playing MKV files, the TV audio seems fine not having any problems with that. I've tried different combinations of settings, and all I can seem to achieve is static or no audio at all. HELP!

I've got my audio going out over HDMI AMD Radeon HD 5450 direct into my TV, and like I mentioned I can only seem to manage no audio or static only.

Thanks in advance....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom