Audio problems when playing BluRay/HD DVD MKV files (1 Viewer)

Cavalry99

February 24, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So I had a Dell XPS 400 with WinXP sitting around and I stumbled across MediaPortal over at the AVS Forums. Thought I would give it a try. The computer has a NVidia GT220 which I am running the video via HDMI directly to the TV and the audio is going through a RocketFish 7.1 sound card via SPDIF to my Pioneer receiver.

For codecs, I have the FFDShow, LAV, and HPC-MC, AC3 installed. Downloaded MakeMKV and started ripping some of my standard DVD's. Had no problems getting any of those files to play. Sound was great, was letting the receiver do the decoding and the Moving Pictures plug in was awesome. Everything was great.

So I started on my BluRay/HD DVD collected and ripped 3 BluRays and 1 HDDVD to MKV. They played fine on my Windows 7 computer and on the WinXP machine in VLC and MPC. However when I tried to play them in MediaPortal the audio would "stutter" constantly. One one of the MKV's, the audio would stutter. On another my receiver kept "cutting out" as you could see the decoder on the screen would flash back and forth between DTS and nothing. The HDDVD MKV file would not play at all, and the final BluRay would play perfectly no matter what set of codecs I was using. I also noticed that the MKV that would play (Body of Lies) did not say h.264 in the bottom of the splash screen, but said AVC.

I have tried every set of codecs I have. Do I need a different set of codecs, or since the standard DVD ripped MKV files are playing fine do I need to be doing something different in making MKV's from BluRay/HD DVDs?

Harry Cadders

Portal Member
August 18, 2011
I have the same issue except I am connected to amp via HDMI. All has been well until tonight. All dts-ma blu ray mkv rips are no missing from my "moving pictures" until I right click - then filter by - all movies. My missing movies now appear but in blue text (instead of white). Picture is perfect but I have no sound. I can see by my amp that the signal is being recieved but that it is dropping in and out so quickly that there is no sound. Strangely if I press a button on my WMC remote the sound kicks in for a second. Please help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom