AUS - Remote Recommendation (XP+MP) (1 Viewer)

csapollo

Portal Pro
May 17, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Home Country
Hi guys. I do not have any remotes for my HTPC and have just moved from VMC to MP under XP (was using a mouse in VMC, but MP is not mouse friendly with quickly changing channels it seems).

Can anyone recommend a remote that works fairly easily out of the box with Media Portal and is available in Aus for <$100AU? I have read a few threads that recommend the m$ MCE remote but I cannot find any for sale..

Thank you!

magao

Portal Member
December 22, 2008
Home Country
Hauppage MCE USB remote (RC6) - uses the MCE drivers - AU$50 + shipping. It also works with the MCE support in my iMON LCD/IR receiver.

Computer Store - Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit, USB - $50

I haven't actually tried it with the MP MCE support, as I use EventGhost to control MP and other applications. It works beautifully with the EventGhost MCE plugin.

I'm also just using the receiver part, as I'm using a Logitech Harmony.

Do not get something like the "MCE" remote available from Jaycar - it simply issues keystrokes, and it does it badly - for example, if you want to use a button that issues "Ctrl+Shift+F" it issues the following set of keystrokes:

Ctrl
Ctrl+Shift
Ctrl+Shift+F
Shift+F
F

That's really bad because after picking up on the "Ctrl+Shift+F" keystroke, you've then got a "Shift+F" and "F" keystroke you need to deal with. It should be:

Ctrl
Ctrl+Shift
Ctrl+Shift+F
Ctrl+Shift
Ctrl

riadmelb

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Melbourne
Home Country
I have three m$ MCE remotes for three clients and they just work out of the box. I got the first one from AUS eBay, and the other two from US eBay.

csapollo

Portal Pro
May 17, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Home Country
Thankyou for the replies.

I ended up buying a "Rock" MCE remote about an hour ago because I found that given the price of the other remotes I'd prefer something entry level until I know exactly what I'm doing with Media Portal.

It is designed for Vista but it was relatively simple to get working in XP using this guide: Finding a Driver for the ?eHome Infrared Transceiver? | Never a Dude Like This One

Though I went into MP configuration, clicked "use microsoft MCE remote" or whatever that option is, and when I load up MP it doesn't respond to the remote at all.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom