[Videos] - Auto sync subtitle to video

Discussion in 'Improvement Suggestions' started by powermarcel10, May 28, 2015.

1. powermarcel10
    • Team MediaPortal

powermarcel10 Retired Team Member

Callcenter Agent
    Ratings:
    +1,028 / 4
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Hi guys,

I like to suggest a new feature for MediaPortal 1.

I'm using Subcentral to find and download subtitles wich is working pretty good. How ever, it happend a lot of times that a subtitle is not 100% in sync with the video file, so with the subtitle slider in the osd menu I need to get it in sync.

I thought, there should be a way to get this done automaticly, but I'm not sure..

So the question is, is there a way to get an option to let MP start the subtitle when the first voice is recognized in the video? That should be awesome!

No idea if this is possible.. Just an idea!

Cheers,
    Marcel

• Like Like x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,201 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Marcel

Interesting idea. I guess it might be possible... but very, very, very challenging. So hard that it would take years of work, and still maybe not work reliably.
    ...but still, interesting. :)

Identifying voice in an audio track would be the first challenge. For this I guess you'd need a codec that could "parse"/process uncompressed audio to separate the voices from the other sounds. This could be hard. Especially for language-independent speech (different languages sound different => require different recognition techniques?)... and if more than one person is talking at once.

Second would be recognising that somebody in the video is talking. This would require a code that could "parse"/processed uncompressed video to find the talker. Honestly, this is most likely to be impossible. The person who is talking may not even be shown in the video... or the quality/resolution may be too poor to identify lips moving properly.

This seems too hard from a technical perspective. Perhaps there's another easier way to do it?

4. Iwen

Iwen Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    That would be a great feature.

Maybe some kind of internal voice recognition. Like a Kinect but as an internal piece of software which just listens to the audio like a person would in front of the TV. I think voice recognition is pretty good nowadays. Then compare the subtitle text with the recognized text and show them accordingly in sync. A little bit like Skype (http://www.skype.com/en/translator-preview/) is trying to do live voice translation, but in this case we already have the written text (subtitle). It needs "just" to be compared to the recognized audio text.

But still, hard task. But not impossible (I hope :) ).

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!