Automatic detection of hardware acceleration(PureVideo / Avivo) (1 Viewer)

borax

Portal Member
June 22, 2006
Karlskrona
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Started on: 2007-01-10
last update: 2006-01-10

Summary:
Automatic detection of hardware acceleration(PureVideo / Avivo).

Area:
DVD / Codecs / Performance

Description:
After reading a review on TomsHardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01...uthors_rant_what_happened_to_userfriendliness) about (AMD/ATI)Avivo vs (nVidia)PureVideo I saw some thoughts in the end of the article(see link) by the author. The author missed one feature from all DVD viewing apps out on the market and that was automatic detection of (graphic card based)hardware accelleration. To stand out from the rest of the crew in the dvd viewing department this would be a great feature(and quite appreciated by those who has access to a more modern graphics card).

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want hardware acceleration enabled if it's available.
    That's the author's small scope. I can think of enough good reasons NOT to enable it. Personally I like a smooth picture much more than saving some spare cpu cycles. Of course those mini case builders might think different...

Flerbizky

Portal Pro
    July 18, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Funny.. I can't think of a single good reason NOT to offload the CPU :)

But I agree - Getting MP to automagically enable HW accel. would be absolutely ace !...

Cheers,
    Steff

borax

Portal Member
    June 22, 2006
    Karlskrona
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want hardware acceleration enabled if it's available.
    That's the author's small scope. I can think of enough good reasons NOT to enable it. Personally I like a smooth picture much more than saving some spare cpu cycles. Of course those mini case builders might think different...

As you said, there are several mini case builders who might disagree(probably a lot of people who like some cpu offload anyway). Just having the option there will differentiate MP from other mediacenter/dvd player software in a positive way. As this is the thread for improvement suggestions I thought it where fitting to post here :). Atleast think a bit about implementing it... Now I will go back to developing my MP reciever plugin...

roosterx

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2006
    Högsäter, Sweden
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    With my setup on both computers i get a kind of ghost effect using ATi HW on MP, this problem does not excist if i am using nvidia card + purevideo, is this because MP does not allow me to use real hw overlay on my ati card?

With purevideo sw + ati card i get a smaller ammount of blur/ghost compared to when i choose purevideo hw on ati, i know for a fact i get the best picture quality using my old ati radeon 9600 or old gf 6800 series card, both cards problem occures with is in the ati x1xxx series.

So why is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom