Automatic Installation of games (1 Viewer)

Molokoids

Portal Pro
April 22, 2004
Don't know if this one is going to interest a lot of people, but I like it :)

I would like that in mygames(my program) screen to have a button called "Installation". So that when you have a new game to install to your MPPC (Media Portal PC), you put the CD in, you go to my games and press installation.

When you press installation. A program makes an Iso of the CD, and mounts it in Daemon tools. Then the setup.exe from the CD, is launched. And the installation of the games follow (I haven't thought thoroughly about multiple CDs installation). Then the virtual keyboard appears and asks you the name of the games, so the plugin can create an entry in the database of mygames (myprogram) with an argument to mount the iso each time the game is started.

Why this feature ? I love PC games and I want the practicality you get with other parts of your MPPC. I dont' want to search for a CD to play games (just like for my movies, my songs, my pictures). You don't always find a no-cd crack and sometimes you simply don't want to use it.

Molokoids

Portal Pro
April 22, 2004
Alienware is making this real :) with the patented

"Discover Console gaming technology"

(Fancy ? I sould know better :))

Discover technology allows you to drop in a game CD and the system will automatically install then/or load and play the game blurring the line between gaming consoles and PCs. Using its extensive online gaming database, new game loading instructions are added to the DHS 5 series automatically to ensure that new game you purchase gives you the same experience over and over."

Discover hopes to change that with a technology that allows specially designed computers to quickly recognize a PC game and load it, hassle free, into the system. Then the next time you put the game disc into the Discover console plugged into your television it will start right up, just like on a GameCube, PlayStation 2 or Xbox.

But this technlogy is still using the CD of the games, that's not cool. Probably for legal reason...

I've been thinking about multi-CD games installation, games that ask for CD1 or 2 or 3 to start. It's clear that a detection plugin for automatic installation is a bit hard without a database. That's what Discover games console is doing (I believe).

Munch

Portal Member
February 24, 2006
The reason that copying the game to the PC to play it would work is: copy protection.
To make this a reality (Which i oftern do) a NO-CD crack is needed. While these are not illegal, they arent very reliable. Some games take minutes to make no-cds for, others take along time (Splinter cell chaos theory took around 9 month). But alot of them dont work.

For this reason, it would be very difficult if not impossible to make it work without CDs.

Munch

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom