Automatic subtitle downloading (2 Viewers)

How should an automatic subtitle downloader work?

• Total voters

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi,

The number 1 feature that I'm missing in SubCentral is an automatic subtitle downloading. I know it's in the issue list, and I know there were several threads about it. However, no one implemented it, afaik...

So... I'm considering starting to work on this feature myself.

The requirements are as follows:
    • It should use SubCentral (inc. its setting)
    • It should use MediaPortal databases for MovingPictures, MPTV-Series (maybe others as well)
    • It should download only exact matches
    • It should download first exact matches for every language configured.
    • It may keep track of item's age & item's last check, so that the next check will be according to that. For example, a new TV episode in the database (a week old) will be checked for subtitles every day, but a year old movie in the database will be checked only once a month.
    Before starting (if I decide to take this challenge;)) I wanted to raise one question.
    How should this automatic subtitle downloader work?
    As a process plugin, that runs once a day or upon restart, and searches for subtitle (according to the terms described above), or as a separate tool, that updates missing subtitles, by demand. Second option is a lot like MePo tools for clear art and logos.

Please use the poll above.
    Thanks,
    Yoav

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi,

The number 1 feature that I'm missing in SubCentral is an automatic subtitle downloading. I know it's in the issue list, and I know there were several threads about it. However, no one implemented it, afaik...

• It should use MediaPortal databases for MovingPictures, MPTV-Series (maybe others as well)
    • It may keep track of item's age & item's last check, so that the next check will be according to that. For example, a new TV episode in the database (a week old) will be checked for subtitles every day, but a year old movie in the database will be checked only once a month.
    Before starting (if I decide to take this challenge;)) I wanted to raise one question.
    As a process plugin, that runs once a day or upon restart, and searches for subtitle (according to the terms described above), or as a separate tool, that updates missing subtitles, by demand. Second option is a lot like MePo tools for clear art and logos.

Thanks,
    Yoav

I made a proof-of-concept about this long time ago but I'm not sure if I have the source, I'll check tonight.

Basically there is no need to make things compilicated, meaning a) no process plugin b) no external executable. However I understand that there would be some benefits making auto-downloading "external".

The feature in SubCentral would be fairly simple but the major problem is that Retriever class which does all the magic has business logic and UI stuff mixed. The class is also huge. What I did in my PoC was that I

a) changed Retriever so that it could be called anywhere from SubCentral (needs refactoring)
    b) modified TVSeries/Moving Pictures plugin providers to listen their media added events
    c) created manager class which calls Retriever when media added events are raised and pick 1st subtitle from (already properly sorted) search results

All this was implemented in SubCentral. I'm happy to help you with design of this feature.

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi,

Thanks,
    Yoav

I made a proof-of-concept about this long time ago but I'm not sure if I have the source, I'll check tonight.

Basically there is no need to make things compilicated, meaning a) no process plugin b) no external executable. However I understand that there would be some benefits making auto-downloading "external".

The feature in SubCentral would be fairly simple but the major problem is that Retriever class which does all the magic has business logic and UI stuff mixed. The class is also huge. What I did in my PoC was that I

a) changed Retriever so that it could be called anywhere from SubCentral (needs refactoring)
    b) modified TVSeries/Moving Pictures plugin providers to listen their media added events
    c) created manager class which calls Retriever when media added events are raised and pick 1st subtitle from (already properly sorted) search results

All this was implemented in SubCentral. I'm happy to help you with design of this feature.

Did you find the PoC code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom