automatic thumbnail generation for videos (1 Viewer)

anony

Portal Pro
January 3, 2009
I wish there would be an option to produce thumbnails automatically for both a folder and its video files when the folder is added. Right now the process is manual, requiring the user to obtain and place a jpeg, which is time consuming. Below are some comments by users:

"Is there any way to have thumbnails for the videos made from the videos themselves? Any plugin or utility can do this? This only feature makes me seriously consider switching back to MCE, as I have a big collection..."
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/support-106/no-video-thumbnails-14862/

"Does anyone know how to get Media Portal to generate thumbnails of video files? ...What I meant was thumbnails generated from a random frame of the video file. I have video files that do not have IMDB entries, but I'd still prefer to see something relevant to the video instead of just a generic icon."
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1370893

anony

Portal Pro
January 3, 2009
Thumbnailer looks promising but unfortunately doesn't seem to work on my computer. I'm waiting for the new version to be released from the author.

According to the poll in that thread almost 90% of users would appreciate automatic thumbnails, which makes it an important functionality. If this was a built in to MediaPortal that would be nice.

mickyblue

Portal Pro
June 13, 2005
Brisbane Australia
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
i am by no means a programmer but how much work would it be to with jburnette's permission for someone to modify his mvids plugin and remove the parts that reference last.fm etc and just leave the underlying database and the ability to generate thumnails for each video,

i have a large collection of family videos, funnies that i would love to have thumbnails of aswell as a nice layout, we have the fantastic plugins that now deal with tvshows and commercial movies etc that load information from the internet so the standard my videos feature is only really used for family videos etc now but the stock myvideos has been lacking any upgrades in years.

i tried adding the file path to my videos to jburnette's mvids it imported the files without any issues i just used the file names "holiday 2006 - 1.avi" etc etc and it imported it fine and created the thumbnails perfectly, all it needs is a skin update to move ratings etc and it would be a near perfect upgrade for the my videos,

this to me would be the perfect solution and i would even go as far as using this but for now mvids is more important to me as a music video database so unfortunately i cant have both unless someone can modify his plugin. to allow to versions to run at the same time one for music and one for family videos etc

does anyone have any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom