Autoupdate MP2 over Network for Clients (1 Viewer)

heiserfeger77

Portal Pro
November 10, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello Dev-Team,

not for the near future, but for the final version:

When i install a new version on the TV-Server, it would by nice, when all clients become automatically this update at next connecting.

This is good for bigger installations with many Clients, just like hotels or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    EDIT: Original posting by @JSchuricht

I suspect this is a long shot for development resources on a feature but I would love to see a server update force an automatic client update.

Basically, I would like clients to automatically update to the version supported by the currently connected server. IE. If I update server A from 2.1 to 2.2 I would like the clients that are connected to the standalone server A to automatically update to client 2.2 with minimal intervention by me.

I currently support multiple friends and family installations of MP2, some are single seat and some have dedicated servers with dedicated clients that aren't always online for me to update. If there was a way to force the clients to detect the server they are connected to is on a new version and update without intervention it would make life much easier.

I know this is limited to multi seat installations but even in the basic single site with multiple clients it would save a bit of work in going to each client and manually updating after a server update.Something simple like a prompt on the client when it detects that the server it is connecting to is of a higher version than this client supports. The prompt would allow remote selection of yes, update with previous install settings of client only or no, I want to do this manually with x,y.z settings.

heiserfeger77

Portal Pro
    November 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Perhaps it would good to be a part of a mpextensionsinstaller like for the mp1. In mp2 it would be part of the gui. For the most extentions it would be a must running a backgroundprocess with admin rights. One admin process for all work on updates or upgrades (on server and client side).

In a perfect world the server would know all plugins from the clients since the last connect. So a upgrade of the server can make a fully function list of all clients and installed plugins if after upgrade all functions of all clients working.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also like the idea. It would fit into the plugin manager activity, that is currently on hold.
    There should be generally the possibility to install and deinstall plugins from within Gui. Here also updates should be indicated. There should be also an option to update automatically, but also update only after confirmation should be possible.

I'm just not so sure, if there server can handle this. Some plugins have a server and client part, but most do not.
    The client could send on every start a info to server for available plugins for example.

Biggest problem will be to find a dev for this, as topic is very complex and time consuming.

heiserfeger77

Portal Pro
    November 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm just not so sure, if there server can handle this. Some plugins have a server and client part, but most do not.
    The client could send on every start a info to server for available plugins for example.

The communication between server and client have to bidirectional.

For Example: One Client want to have the emulatorplugin (which have a server and client part). Then the plugin manager of the client must communicate to the server, that the server part is to installed too. But one point, i think, is for discussion. Should the server (iniciated from a client) make a restart (perhaps a other client have plan or running a recording or watching something)?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For Example: One Client want to have the emulatorplugin (which have a server and client part). Then the plugin manager of the client must communicate to the server, that the server part is to installed too.
    This is clear. But most plugins do not have a server part, so the server will never know about those plugins. Here changes are required in the structure, so the server knows it or the client can update itself individually for pure client based plugins.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The Original request is about updating the different clients automatically whenever a new server version is installed.

I suggest to keep it at this level.

heiserfeger77

Portal Pro
    November 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i know it is not the core question of this request, but when i do a server upgrade (perhaps from 2.2 to 2.3) it would be nice for the next start of the client to test if all external plugins checking if a newer version exist.

The info that the planed plugin manager can do this, come from @ge2301

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom