[no Bug] Avast detects Virus in MPeInstaller.exe (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm sure it's not a virus (Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]) but obviously it would be good if it could be reported to Avast as a false positive so that other users don't run into this.

I'm not sure how to do that myself as the popup only gives the options "Move to Chest", "Block" or "Delete". I can prevent it doing anything by just closing the window but then I'm not sure if the "Submit file to avast for further analysis" option which is ticked actually does anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Thanks but I don't actually know where this file is buried in the installer, so I can't upload it for them to analyse.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks but I don't actually know where this file is buried in the installer, so I can't upload it for them to analyse.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal has the MpeMaker.exe

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal has the MpeMaker.exe

It was the MpeInstaller.exe that Avast didn't like but I just tried manually scanning both these .exe manually and it doesn't detect any problems, so either Avast has updated it's files in the last couple of days or maybe the .exe appears differently when installing due to packing or something. Avast's log shows that the problem file was the one in the installation folder though, not anywhere else, so that's probably unlikely.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You can open up the full installer with zip for example. Inside there is a deploy folder, and inside that folder there are 2 NSIS installers. package-mediaportal.exe contains the MpeMaker.exe, so maybe scan package-mediaportal.exe?
    Best to keep an eye out, and if it happens again, report to Avast.
    I'm sure we don't have a virus in our installer, so nothing to worry about. ;)

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Yeah, I'm sure you don't, it's just more to minimise complications for users and avoid AV blocking install of important files :)

I scanned the deploy packages and nothing on those now, so I guess Avast has updated it's database already :)

djcla

Portal Member
    October 13, 2009
    I got this warning too and screwed up my clean install :( , makes me nervous that there is a virus so I went back / re imaged PC to a previous build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom