AVI file won't play in MP.... (1 Viewer)

speedway

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
Riverstone, NSW
Home Country
...but will play everywhere else...

Hi all

I downloaded an AVI file via bittorrent. The source website said I needed a DivX player to see the file. I assumed I had all my required codecs on the machine from the k-lite pack. However, the file refuses to play in MP. As a test, I installed GBPVR on the machine and it *will* play the file. As another test, I tried it on my Ubuntu Linux box with VLC player, and it plays there too. But once again, MP will not play the file.

I have downloaded other DivX .avi files and MP will play them.

Anyone have any idea of what the problem could be? I don't want to have to fire up GBPVR to view random files on my TV...

Cheers
Bruce

debaser_uk

Portal Pro
June 15, 2006
NE Lincs, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
oops, codec packs are the work of the devil. Not sure how you go about sorting this. To play xvid / divx you only need to install the xvid codec which is an open source project.

Maybe someone else can help out, I had major codec problems and the only way to fix was to re-install xp and mp.

Cheers.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

importand for a test: Windows Media Player

MP uses the WMP engine for playback. VLC and GBPVR use a own different engine. So, if it plays in WMP, it should play in MP.

And as debaser says, avoid using codec packs! They can screw up your system...

Flip.

erictan77

Portal Member
    July 13, 2006
    me same

i also like that i have try ddfshow and kcode lite... i try alot of code download from internet also can't play in mp. but play outside with media play v10 can only cant play in mp. nothing show when select avi file

speedway

Portal Member
    August 26, 2006
    Riverstone, NSW
    Home Country
    Thanks all for your replies.

I downloaded and installed divx and all is well. I might try ffdshow instead and get rid of everything else that I don't need.

Cheers
    Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom