avi multiple audio/subtitle streams fix in version 0.1.3.0? (1 Viewer)

P

pedah

i've been wanting to post that awhile back.

why does no one care about being able to switch audio/subtitle streams in avi containers?!?

the only media center that is capable of doing that is meedio, which generally sucks because of its user interface...

it's the only thing about mediaportal that drives me nuts, since i think it should've been implemented from the start.

is there any information on when it might be implemented?

i've dozens of avis with 2 audio streams and 1 subtitle file, i encoded only a few of them.

thanks for input.

-pedah

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I subscribe this feature request. Often I encode AVIs with two audio tracks (with VirtualDub Mod). Right now both tracks get mixed up :( .

A

Anonymous

I used to have this problem and my solution was to uninstall ffdshow even though it's heavily recommended for MP as the primary codec. I installed the "K-Lite Codec Pack 2.45" and it's worked perfectly ever since. I think that codec installer contains the morgan stream switcher which fixes the problem.

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I'll have a look at this, because after installing ffdshow, the DivX player no longer works :( . And it does a better job at playing movies than Winamp 5 does. Anyway I already had installed Xvid 1.0.3 and DivX 5.2.1, so I don't think I need ffdshow.

P

pedah

i wanna be able to switch between audio/subtitle streams.

there's a morgan stream switcher solution by the matroska team, which coded some extra lines into the original one, which gave mp10 the feature of switching between audio and subtitle streams in a context menu.

the strange thing is that this filter doesn't work with mediaportal at all.

i still don't understand why the mediaportal team didn't finish the media player part of their product first, including switching between streams.

it's a real shame that they are working on so many things at the same time and adding more and more features, instead of finishing one part and head over to the next.

as for the tv part. i'm not a fan of mixing tv and other media, unless the tv part is a seperate product which can funtion as a plugin.

there are several open source tv solutions on the market today. the best and most advanced of them is vdr by klaus schmidinger (www.cadsoft.de/vdr/), who spend five years of programming it, starting from scratch. he started implementing plugins and other features like skinning after his solution was considered stable and after tidying up his code.

long story short: mediaportal has so much potential, but its roadmap needs to be reorganized.

conclusion: there's still no media center software available that plays back all main video formats with their most commonly used features.

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    So it's not only me. In the manual you can read that it's possible to switch audio streams and subtitles (Read here). But those options are unavailable for me. It least now I know that they haven't been implemented yet (as of 0.1.3 pre) :cry: .

Yuri

Portal Member
    September 7, 2005
    Hungary
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I agree. Multiaudio and multi subtitle switching is important!
    I have a lot of mkv files with dual audio and subs. Now, MediaPrtal only plays the 1st audio stream.

The features list says, it is capable to switch, but it is not. LOL :)

andinaegnaeg

Portal Member
    February 2, 2005
    Kempten, Germany
    I'd like to push that post up again.

I would love be able to play Dual-Audio-Avi's !! As many people know the Morgan Multimedia Stream Switcher can do this in WMP9. I hope someone is gonna be willing to implement that function.

I'm not a pro but I hope it isn't that hard to make that function available in MP.

Thanks a lot!
    Regards,
    Andreas

patrick

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2005
    Southeast
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Yuri

Portal Member
    September 7, 2005
    Hungary
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I checked the latest version: Mediaportal_0.2.0_RC1.

Sub and audio switching is working great in mkv files!
    But avi and ogm files; it plays both audio tracks and no subtitle switching.

Or my codecs are playing fun again? :?:

EDIT: Well not a big deal. I can always convert ogm and dual audio avi to mkv. :wink: :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom