Avoid disk from spinning up, how? (1 Viewer)

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've set my hard disks to spin down/turn off after 3 minutes in vista's power management settings. This works pretty well and my 2:nd disk do spin down and keep my system quiet and cool... for about a minute or two. :( Then it spins up again.

I've no idea what's causing this but the preferred behaviour of this would be that the HDD "only" spin up when I play a video file or mp3, because that's what's on it... nothing else. I've turned off the index search thingy on the drive as I thought that caused it but with no luck. Anyone got an idea of what to do? Any more settings that I don't know about?

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I assume that you use Tv Server (because of HDTV...), right?

The thing is that:

- MP starts timeshifting in TV, which is accessing the Harddisc
    - Windows accesses the pagefile (as long as you did not deactivate it)

afaik there is no way to tell windows to only spin down ONE drive but all. So if one drive is accessed all the others are spinning up again...

cheers

joystick

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    afaik there is no way to tell windows to only spin down ONE drive but all. So if one drive is accessed all the others are spinning up again...

cheers

joystick

no, that's not true - it's right, that you have only ONE setting for all harddrive in windows - can't set different settings for different HDs, BUT: Only the drives being accessed will spin up - if you have e.g. 5 drives, systemdrive will always run due to windows accesses, drive for timeshifting or recording will only spin up if tvserver is active and rest stays sleeping if no access. problem with "all drives spinning up" only occurs if you have applications that e.g. scan all drives to show icons or whatever - but this usually does not happen on a tv-server to my experience.

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ok, learned something,
    however I had the problem the other way around: I switched on HD spindown, and even my Timeshifting HD was stopped after the set time but then started again, which caused the TV to hang for a few second....

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    ok, learned something,
    however I had the problem the other way around: I switched on HD spindown, and even my Timeshifting HD was stopped after the set time but then started again, which caused the TV to hang for a few second....
    If you want to keep your timeshifting HD "up" you need to access it moreoften than your poweroff time is set to... otherwise it's normal that you get some freeze/stutter when the disc is accessed (have the same, but I can live with it ...)

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I found out that it was Speedfan that kept the HDD active. Problem solved, Thank you all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom