BackupSettings for Tv Server and Media Portal (12 Viewers)

colossus-x

Portal Member
December 4, 2007
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi, just installed this , haven't ran it yet but I see in the TVSERVER tab in the section "Before importing Tv Server Settings " all boxes are ticked by default including the last option "Delete all Recordings" . Why on earth would you want to delete all your recordings and/or why would it be necessary? Would I have lost all my files had I not spotted this before I ran it ?

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
October 10, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Why on earth would you want to delete all your recordings and/or why would it be necessary? Would I have lost all my files had I not spotted this before I ran it ?
Hi,
a quick look to the manual would have answered your question: page 9:
Delete All Recordings:
This setting will delete all recordings from the data base. The video
files will not be touched. If you import Servers and Cards or you Delete All Channels, you
must also delete all recordings.
Cheers
Alfred

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi your plugin 'accidently' deleted a lot of files from my computer

I have a folder called
    D:\BIN\MEDIAPORTAL
    It has a lot of files in it as well as subfolders with files, containing backups of tv logos, some design work i was doing with mediaportal, some custom made scripts and programs for mediaportal, + a few other bits and pieces.

I tried your plugin and set the export destination as d:\bin\mediaportal, your plugin has deleted everything in that folder !!!! :( :(

This is quite a huge set back for me, as I'm not sure if I will be able to recover these files.

Last edited:

huha

Extension Developer
    January 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    kiwijunglist,
    I am very sorry to hear that.

The entered folder is deleted after a warning message if you choose "yes" to delete the old backup data.

I will be working on an update of the export folder structure to avoid this for the future.

Russell Branch

March 18, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is crap!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not install this!!!!!!! I am warning all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!! This deleted a ton of important data from my machine!!!!!!!!!! Who knows where it may have sent it or who it sent it to!!!!!!!!!! Do not trust this person!!!!! No program can do something like this on accident!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is crap!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not install this!!!!!!! I am warning all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!! This deleted a ton of important data from my machine!!!!!!!!!! Who knows where it may have sent it or who it sent it to!!!!!!!!!! Do not trust this person!!!!! No program can do something like this on accident!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Incredible comment! No real information, just sh....t! Look at the number of "likes" the author of this program got, and you should know how incompetent (I do not want to use the words I really have in my mind) your comment is.
    And: This is open source, so everybody (who wants to and is willing to) knows exactly where it comes from and what it does.

If you drive your car completely drunken, the car manufacturer will be responsible if you have a crash, right?

Who knows (and who wants to know) what you did? For sure you did not read any manual! Please leave us alone with this kind of posts!(n)

Last edited:

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Well, Russell, maybe you shouldn't have pointed to C:\ as your backup folder...
    Joking aside - although I completely understand Kiwi's frustration as loosing data is always annoying, this really has nothing to do with data being sent anywhere. This is all open source so if you have doubts, please look at the code. As Huha already mentioned (and as I know his perfectionism) I'm sure he is already about to implement something in order to avoid such accidents in the future. If you want to help, it may be useful if you post the steps you did when you lost your data (if any), as kiwi did above.
    Michael

Russell Branch

March 18, 2013
    Home Country
    I did exactly what the instruction say checked the things I wanted backed up and where to export to. Hit export and data was gone! No warning message or anything! Just gone! oh, and AlfredENeuma, great post![DOUBLEPOST=1363648690][/DOUBLEPOST]kiwijunglist, I have a program that may help you get some or all of your data back.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    kiwijunglist,
    I am very sorry to hear that.

The entered folder is deleted after a warning message if you choose "yes" to delete the old backup data.

I will be working on an update of the export folder structure to avoid this for the future.

Didn't see any warning message, I suggest you don't indiscriminately delete data that is not created by your plugin, especially deleting an entire folder. This is really dangerous coding.

Also Deleting Old Backup Data =/= Deleting all files in a folder

I suggest if the user enters the folder
    c:\foldername\

Then the program does not by default delete everything in c:\foldername\
    Instead it could create a subfolder called c:\foldername\Backup 19.3.2013\

Last edited:

Russell Branch

March 18, 2013
    Home Country
    More bad news! I just discovered that this plug in deleted files of my other drives also! So, that is three different drive this thing deleted files off of and it was only installed on one of them. Why would any program be written like this???

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom