Codecs Bad playback on .avi's (1 Viewer)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I have just noticed in the past few days that I am getting very poor playback on any .avi files on my Zotac Zbox ID41 (using nVidia Ion2 graphics). This really doesn't present a problem as I have had these clients for around 6 months now and have just noticed this playback issue. Oddly, full HD playback is flawless, whether recorded or live - MP4's, MKV, MPG, .TS all play without problem at 1920 x 1080 - it is only .avi's that seem to stutter badly i.e. one still frame every 3 or 4 secs and the audio is playing over this still frame perfectly.

I am using the MS Codec and also SAF6 unlocked. I have tried changing the video codec in config settings but the playback doesn't get better.

I haven't posted logs as this only happened a couple of days back when I tried to play a film and I have been using these clients for ages. When I investigated further and tried to play several episodes of a TV series I have and none would play.

I am more curious as to why .avi's wouldn't play, when more compressed file types like MP4 would; also I am in process of converting everything I have to .mkv's so there is no point in going into great detail to resolve it and I have converted the film to .mkv now.

Thank you in advance,

M.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Logifuse,

Thanks for the reply.

Shift & 1 was the first thing I tried, but even that wouldn't display, so I could get no info at all as to the codec being used. Under the video codec settings I have the MS-DVD codec set, with PDVD11 for the H264 decoding. As this is SD video the MS codec would have been used, although I did try every other codec but none would play ball. Although, these .avi's play fine on the main HTPC in the lounge.

As I said, I'm more curious about this as it has taken months for me to 'discover' this problem even exists.

M

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    PD, he (according to his specs) has ATI HD5550, so CUVID is not an option.

Ever seen pantomime, where they say behind his back whilst pointing "oh no he does'nt"

I have just noticed in the past few days that I am getting very poor playback on any .avi files on my Zotac Zbox ID41 (using nVidia Ion2 graphics)

LOL, that has happened to me many a time, so don't worry about it.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    I know it is a month back, but I'm just posting an answer to this problem for others that may experience it.

As PD suggested (above) I loaded up the LAV filters/codecs and set it to use CUVID in the video settings (not in MP, but in the LAV install folder) and avi's play without any problem at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom