[solved] Basic audio question... (1 Viewer)

Nordfinn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Is there a way to set the default audio stream for live TV? The default default, so to speak, for me seems to be English 6-channel. I have a stereo set up. If I set LAV filters to mix 6 channels down to 2, it sounds good, but the output, the volume, is noticeably lower (as confirmed by the meter in LAV filters), so I would prefer to use the 2-channel stream, but it seems I have to set it by hand each time. Can't find an option to change the default, either in the main program or in TV Configuration.
    Thanks much,
    N.

Further on this: I just now realize that not all broadcast TV has a 2-channel audio stream option. Indeed, the big commercial networks here in the US probably do not offer it (my options in New York City for those kinds of channels, are 6-channel English and 6-Channel Spanish). But public television often has a 2-channel option, especially for musical programs (which is how I became aware of this issue--trying to optimize sound for musical programs [e.g., "In Concert with the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center]). Perhaps this is all different in Europe. At any rate, maybe this just has to be handled manually, considering the different options for different channels. But if there were a way to have 2-channel be the default if 2 channel were available, that would be advantageous, for me, at least.

Last edited:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is an option in settings/Player/Video "Prefer multichannel audio streams".
    This would be result in the opposite of your request and I suggest, that disabling this option would not automatically result in a preference of stereo tracks.
    @Brownard I'm not 100% sure for 2 things.
    MediaPortal-2/MediaPortal/Source/UI/Players/VideoPlayer/VideoPlayer.cs at f3f12d649348c9c0201b5370713c6d915cf60328 · MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2
    • Disabling the preference option means really stereo is preferred before multichannel or just the first audio track is taken without any preference?
    • Does this setting also apply for TV? It seems to be valid only for the video player.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Disabling the preference option means really stereo is preferred before multichannel or just the first audio track is taken without any preference?
    I haven't tested but looking at the code, yes if prefer multi-channel is enabled then it will look for the first stream with >2 channels and if it's disabled then it will look for the first stream with <= 2 channels. The TV player inherits from VideoPlayer and should also take account of this setting.

Last edited:

Nordfinn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yes, works, thanks. Deselecting "Prefer multichannel audio streams" under "Video Player" (under "Players") gives me the stereo stream, by default, in television also. Thanks for your help. N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom