Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hi,

I just want to set up a basic view so that my music can be browsed much the way it used to be done- albums, or cds that are stored by artist alpha. I want to see 'big icons' which are the albums, when they are clicked on I would like to see a 'list' containing all the tracks that are in that album. I want all the 'big icons' (albums) in one view (not grouped alpha or whatever), I just want them in order of albumartist.

I have been trying to do this for hours swaping back and forth between MP and MP-conf, and have had no luck, the only other thread which seems to ask a similar question (couple years old) did not get a responce, and the help file appears to consist of a picture of the configuration page with no explenation of what the fields do.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,
Brenton

brentonjames

Portal Member
April 16, 2007
Adelaide
Home Country
Hi,

Thanks but no, not even close, for one thing when I choose an album- I want to see every track not just those by a specific artist, secondly I don't want to start by selecting an artist and then selecting one of the albums with a contribution from them.

I want to start by having all my albums on the page, when I select one I want to see all of its songs.

Imagine you lay all your CDs out on the floor in a big rectangle, that is exactly what I want, now obviously they could be in any random order, but I want all the acdc ones next to each other, same with various artists etc.

Now, I still want them all layed out, not a stack of acdc ones etc, and no artificial list layer, just all layed out, with the simple order of having the same artists (albumartist tag) next to each other.

When I pick a CD up (select the album), I want all the songs on it (a 'list' of every track).

This to me makes the most sense when I am just trawling through all my music to create a play list for a party or somthing.

Which reminds me, has anyone solved the insanity of using a 'y' for the add to que, I like to have a short list and let each of my freinds add a few songs when they arrive, but this way I have to stand looking over their shoulder to continually remind them not to hit enter/select- or they will wipe out everyone else's additions.

Thanks,
Brenton

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Thanks but no, not even close, for one thing when I choose an album- I want to see every track not just those by a specific artist, secondly I don't want to start by selecting an artist and then selecting one of the albums with a contribution from them.

:D I did not mean you should type it exactly the same. More as an example how to work with the database views.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Use this as a starting point:
    BrentonDbView.JPG

brentonjames

Portal Member
    April 16, 2007
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    Hi

Actually that is what I started with, it s completely off, and it might save time if I explain that I do have some basic knowlege, that my problem is dealing with the querks of this program. Assuming you are more advanced than I, what I am seeing is that it cant be done, because albumartist is not an option for the 'view'.

Kind of stund that the most simple way to file songs is not an option- but there you go (back to Meedio), I really wish these two groups would get together, I think an awsom interface would be the result.

Thanks anyway,
    Brenton

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Actually that is what I started with, it s completely off
    When I use my new view called Brenton inside Mediaportal, I see all albums pictures next to each other (not stacked). Sorted by artist, all Celine Dion next to each other, etc. Select a album and I see all tracks. If that not what you explained in earlier post?

what I am seeing is that it cant be done, because albumartist is not an option for the 'view'
    Not sure I follow this?

and it might save time if I explain that I do have some basic knowlege
    With limited information we cannot help in any other way than asking questions that might seem like wasting time.

Like this one: Inside MediaPortal, did you change from the Shares view to the newly created database view?

Maybe attaching screenshots will point me (or anyone else) to see where we can help further.

brentonjames

Portal Member
    April 16, 2007
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    Thanks and sorry, my problem turned out to be tag related, rather than a view issue.

Again thanks, and sorry.

Oh the albumartist thing was about me wanting to ensure compilation albums were together as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom