[solved] Basic Newbie Questions (1 Viewer)

essdeeay

July 29, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello,

After hearing of the demise of Windows Media Center, and researching possible replacements, I think I've gone for Media Portal. However, there are a few questions I have first, if anybody can spare the time...

• I like the idea of the standalone server. Does this mean I can build a small media PC just for recording DVB-T broadcasts (with an appropriate tuner of course!)?
  • I have a twin DVB-T tuner - will that be compatible?
  • Will more than one client computer be able to access the media portal server at the same time?
  • If yes, could they watch different live broiadcasts at the same time (with a twin tuner)?
  • If yes, could they watch different recorded items at the same time?
  • Can media portal be operated with the Windows MCE remote? (not essential), and if not - is there a particular remote which works well?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Steve

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Steve! :)

Some responses for you...

I like the idea of the standalone server. Does this mean I can build a small media PC just for recording DVB-T broadcasts (with an appropriate tuner of course!)?
    Yes.

I have a twin DVB-T tuner - will that be compatible?
    We're not able to guarantee tuner compatibility. Having said that, most modern tuners should work fine. Especially those that work in WMC.
    We have noted the tuners and/or tuner features that we don't think will work in our wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...stem/01_Supported_TV_Cards#Unsupported_Tuners

So for example, the first entry in that list means: AVerMedia tuners should work fine for basic tuning, but the CI feature (used for decrypting pay TV channels) is not expected to work.

Will more than one client computer be able to access the media portal server at the same time?
    Yes, absolutely! :)

If yes, could they watch different live broiadcasts at the same time (with a twin tuner)?
    Yes, definitely. :)
    With a twin DVB-T tuner the server ("TV Server") can view or record at least 2 channels simultaneously. That means the server can serve 1 client + perform a recording, or serve 2 clients, or perform 2 recordings. I say "at least" because unlike WMC, TV Server is able to receive all channels from a given frequency (also known as a MUX) with a single tuner. That means you may be able to do something like view/record all ITV channels with a single tuner leaving the other tuner free for other recordings or clients.

If yes, could they watch different recorded items at the same time?
    Yes.

Can media portal be operated with the Windows MCE remote? (not essential), and if not - is there a particular remote which works well?
    MCE remotes should work fine. :)

There's lots of info in our wiki which I'd encourage you to check out:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/

You should find answers to all the common questions there... but feel free to ask if you can't find an answer for something.

Welcome again,
    mm
    :)

essdeeay

July 29, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thank you very much indeed for such a comprehensive (and friendly!) reply. I'm looking at the Wiki now - and also deciding what computer to build for a media server... thinking Intel NUC.

S :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom