BASS vs DShow (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was having trouble playing back AC3 files as 5.1 using BASS (was only coming through as stereo) so I installed the AC3File filter and it all works with directshow.

I am in the process of moving my hole collection from MP3 to FLAC (when I can find the time to rerip these CDs) so I also installed illiminable filters (to get the for FLAC filters) and all seems to work quite nicely.

I have not been using DSP or ASIO and I am not too fussed about visualisations so question is am I loosing anything by going from BASS to dshow?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    hwahrmann is the guy to give you full details, he's the expert on this area :), hopefully he will read and give you some pointers.

Also rtv is another big music lover, so he may chip in as well.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Nearly all functions that BASS offers are implemented into MP.
    There might be some issues with 5.1 and special file formats, which are not working, like your 5.1 AC3 issue mentioned above.
    This is simply, because i either don#t have the equipment to test or simply not worked with thise files.

but FLAC, ogg, mp3, m4a, should work out of the box.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    but FLAC, ogg, mp3, m4a, should work out of the box.
    They do very nicely :D

Looking at the link above I am assuming that there is no benefit of BASS over directshow (for me at least) as I don't want any DSP to be applied, I do not need ASIO and I am not that interested in visualizations ??

I don't really understand directX programming (sorry I am a lowly DBA...) but I am right in thinking that BASS still uses directshow for playback ?? (not sure what the difference is between directshow and directsound)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom