Bassflac requirements? (bassflac crashing on fresh XP installation) (1 Viewer)

Kybla

November 24, 2007
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Hi, I'm trying to built myself wireless music streaming computer using some old HW I found in the basement :). It's AMD Duron 650MHz, which should be quite sufficient for just playing music. My idea is to have keyboard- and mouseless (even partly headless) quiet PC with MediaPortal controlled by the remote and showing info on external LCD display. All went well, I made it quiet, remote works etc., all things work extraordinarily, except playing FLAC.

What I did? I installed fresh Win XP, did all the updates including .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 and WMP 11, made some optimalisations (switched off XP visual effects etc.), installed Media Portal 0.2.3.0, made basic requested settings. I can play everything Bass supports, except FLAC - when I try to play FLAC file, it just won't start and it writes an exception to the log (see attached logs). It seems that bassflac.dll just crashes.

Now the question is: what are basic requirements for bassflac to work? On my desktop PC with Athlon X2 FLAC is working (bassflac is not crashing), but it's not fresh XP installation there. Can it be something I have installed on my desktop and did not install on the streaming computer? (To say it all, I tried it three times, at first with some Celeron 433MHz and nLite-stripped XP install, and when I found out that FLAC is not working, I thought it's nLite issue; then I tried full XP install, but with no avail, so I thought it could be processor issue, so I tried other motherboard with other processor, still no avail). Or does bassflac need SSE to decode FLAC (unlikely - I tried XM Player (player from Bass makers) and it plays FLAC on the same machine under same conditions perfectly - but still?)? It should not be computing power issue, because APE is playing without any problems, and APE needs more computing power. I also tried newest SVN version, but still the same. Can somebody help me, please? Yes, I can convert all my FLACs to APEs or some other lossless format, but it's about the principle - there's just ONE small issue on otherwise perfectly working solution :).

Thanks a lot for reading it and even more for any suggestions :D
And thanks a lot for MediaPortal!

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: Default
Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
CPU Type: AMD Duron 650
HDD: Seagate 80GB
Memory: 256 MB
Motherboard: PC Chips M807
Motherboard Chipset: some VIA
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9250
Video Card Driver: Default XP driver
Sound Card: SoundBlaster 128 PCI
Sound Card Driver: Default XP driver
Remote: WinLirc

Kybla

November 24, 2007
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Thanks for your answer. Enabling Visual Effects didn't help, I even tried to install UX Theme Patcher, because I'm using it on my desktop, but still got the same SEHException .. but the link you gave me helped me - it says that the exceptions occurs when the app tries to open dialog window, so I thought that it could be that bassflac wants to say me something. So I tried to install musikCube, which uses bassflac (I found it when I was searching some info about bassflac) to see, what dialog it is and found out that musikCube plays FLAC well. So I just tried to replace bassflac.dll in MediaPortal (version 2.3.0.4) with that from musikCube (version 2.3.0.2) and - voila - MediaPortal now plays FLAC :). So my problem is solved now, at least for me (it plays even when I disable Visual Styles again).

Thanks for pointing me the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom