Portal Pro
January 27, 2008
Home Country
Norway Norway
I know there are several Media/TV-ep renamers out there,

Media Renamer [v1.4b3 2007-03-26]
Epnamer
One by Rob Meerman

However, I found none of these to be flexible enough for me. I've therefore been looking for a batch file-renamer for some time, and today, I found the ultimate tool.

F2 Batch File Renamer

It's an OpenSource Windows-program. It's fast, and without all these "crappy" functions i feel most batch renamers have. It uses regexp to match files, and you can use tagged expressions to define whatever rename-rules you'd like.

So, say for example, you have a collection of mp3 files that are named using the following general pattern:

Artist - Album - TrackNumber - Trackname.mp3​

so, for example, you might have:

• Erasure - Wild - 01 - Piano Song (Instrumental).mp3
  • Erasure - Wild - 02 - Blue Savannah.mp3
  • Erasure - Wild - 03 - Drama!.mp3
  • Erasure - Wild - 04 - How Many Times.mp3
  • Erasure - Wild - 05 - Star.mp3

...and so on, and you want to rename the files so that you have a folder for each artist, and a sub-folder within that for each album, and in that album folder are the mp3 files of the tracks from that album. But you only want the mp3 files to be named using the track number and name.

In this case, you would use the following regular expression to match each of the filename components:

(.*) - (.*) - (.*) - (.*).mp3​

This would get you 4 tagged expressions (%1 through %4), which you can then use to rename the file. In our example, we would use this as the new filename pattern:

%1\%2\%3.%4.mp3​

If you used F2 to rename using this scheme, our example files would end up in a nested folder hierarchy, as follows:

* Erasure
o Wild
+ 01.Piano Song (Instrumental).mp3
+ 02.Blue Savannah.mp3
+ 03.Drama!.mp3
+ 04.How Many Times.mp3
+ 05.Star.mp3​

This saved my day when I'm currently re-organizing my ~2TiB of series.

You might have your own favourite batch-renamer, but I thought this one was worth sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom