Codecs Best conversion format (1 Viewer)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I am trying to sort out my TV Series by changing the format from .ts files to something more compact.

I did think that .mkv would be the one to use, however I did try this using Freemake Video Convertor using the option to keep the image size and audio quality as the original file and it turned out to be larger when converted to .mkv :mad:

Clearly, I need to tweak the settings, so could anyone suggest the ideal ones for me to use that don't downgrade the image quality too much.

Many thanks,

M.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The only advantage Freemake has over Handbrake is the use of Cuda, your ATI card makes that useless.

So I would use Handbrake instead and create a custom profile H264 that creates files no bigger than 500mb per hour, sadly you need to work this out yourself and manually add under the video tab as "Target size", you keep Aspect and also fps, just lose bitrate, I have lots of 45 minute recordings done at 350mb (original around 1gb) and they look identical to original for me.

Or just get bigger HDD's ;)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    About NAS, yep read that, I see lots of 2tb samsung F4's on the horizon ;)

Seriously, I have 3 of them and they are great drives.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for the info above Ray, it is working a treat. I have set the file size to 500Mb as you stated.

This is fine for SD recordings, and I cannot see any great deterioration in quality either, and it is halving the file size when compared to the .ts original.

Have you converted any HD recordings? If so, what did you put the output file size at? I would have thought that 500Mb would make a very noticeable impact on the playback quality.

Many thanks,

M.

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008
    StaxRip is a good tool to convert your HDTV TS-files to MKV. However it is a very complex program, but it handles almost everything if you get used to it.

BzERK

October 4, 2013
    Home Country
    Hi Guys,

I am trying to sort out my TV Series by changing the format from .ts files to something more compact.

I did think that .mkv would be the one to use, however I did try this using Freemake Video Convertor using the option to keep the image size and audio quality as the original file and it turned out to be larger when converted to .mkv :mad:

Clearly, I need to tweak the settings, so could anyone suggest the ideal ones for me to use that don't downgrade the image quality too much.

Many thanks,

M.
    Try Using VIDCODER Its Free And Pretty Strait Forward It Uses HANDBRAKE So Dont Uninstall It. In VIDCODER Under Setting VIDEO Change The Target Size (Ive Set It To 550mb) And The Picture Is The Same As The Source File. Hope This Helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom