Best IR Receiver to use? (1 Viewer)

ewoodall2000

Portal Member
July 16, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi all,
I am just about all done planning my HTPC build (my parts arriving in about 3 days).
What I'm noticing is that the IR Receiver part of MediaPortal is rather specific.
Can someone give me a model number, or some options on which ones work well with MediaPortal?
I will be running this on an XP machine.
Thanks in advance.

Eric

By chance does anybody know of a manufacturer that will sell just the IR Receiver?
I already have a Harmony 550 remote, so I don't want to pay for another remote if I'm not going to use it.

Based on this thread:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/remotes-116/vista-remote-xp-working-48624/

I decided to go ahead and get a Vista remote, MediaGate GP-IR02BK.
Hopefully I can get it working.

meq123

Portal Pro
February 1, 2008
Home Country
A vendor from China (digitalsky2008) is still selling MCE (XP) remotes on eBay... search for "Windows XP Media Center Edition MCE 2005 Remote". The "Buy it now" price is $25 plus $15 shipping (which is a bit steep, I know!) BUT - the shipping is understandable since it got to me (in US) in under a week - AND he sometimes puts them up (maybe once a week) for bids starting at $1. I had to bid on several auctions and was outbid often, but eventually got one for the $1 + $15. The auctions where I was outbid generally ended in the $7-$11 range.

Here's an example (for as long as this link lasts): Windows XP Media Center Edition MCE 2005 Remote&Vista - eBay (item 400062058317 end time Jul-23-09 00:12:38 PDT)

As I said, it came very quickly (auction won on Wed, arrived following Monday) and it is an apparently genuine XP MCE remote that works out of the box with MediaPortal. Also comes with one IR blaster.

Very satisfied customer :)

[No connection, YMMV, I take no responsibility... yada yada]

chiark

Portal Member
May 27, 2009
West Yorkshire
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Bit late now, but another option is to buy a tuner card as they normally have a remote control with them - I'm using a hauppauge remote control thanks to that approach, and it works fine. Well, I'm actually using a Harmony One with the receiver and have set the harmony one to be a Hauppauge PVR remote control.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Bit late now, but another option is to buy a tuner card as they normally have a remote control with them - I'm using a hauppauge remote control thanks to that approach, and it works fine. Well, I'm actually using a Harmony One with the receiver and have set the harmony one to be a Hauppauge PVR remote control.

Yes but I think the issue is USB remotes vs those that plug into the back of the tuner card with a microjack-like plug. The USB MCE-type (mshome) remotes are straightforward, whereas the microjack style remotes may prove more tricky (read, in worst-case scenario, impossible) to set up.

ewoodall2000

Portal Member
    July 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Several years ago I tried using the mini-jack style with a PVR 150 and could never get it to work.
    This was with Linux and MythTV though.
    I'm hoping that the USB hookup will be easier.
    Should be getting my Lian Li case tomorrow.
    Can't wait to start building...

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Several years ago I tried using the mini-jack style with a PVR 150 and could never get it to work.
    This was with Linux and MythTV though.
    I'm hoping that the USB hookup will be easier.
    Should be getting my Lian Li case tomorrow.
    Can't wait to start building...

Awesome... Good luck with it. Hope it all goes well. Pics and progress are always nice to see if you feel like posting in the Builds section of the forum....:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom