Best video Mpeg2 decoder for Live TV? (1 Viewer)

papdaddy

October 24, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am new to media portal. I am using the installed Dscaler MPEG2 decoder. It looks good.

I was wondering which codec provides the best picture? I have a nvidia FX5200 for my video card. I have a Hauppauge 150 and Avermedia 150 for my capture cards.

Thanks!:)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I don't think that there is a video decoder that is "best" for everybody.... :(

The best video decoder will depend upon the source material (analog TV, SD digital TV or HD digital TV), the video card (ATI or Nvidia) and the display device ( CR TV, LCD, Plasma, DLP, ...etc) and connection method (S-Video, Component, VGA, DMI ....etc).

For a while I thought the Nvidia Pure Video decoder was the "ants pants", but I found that it struggled with some of the digital TV high definition formats with my ATI 9550 card.

So, after much trial and error, I have settled on the CyberLink video decoder that is included with PowerDVD 6. I suspect that the CyberLink decoder works well with ATI cards, while the Nvidia and InterLink decoders work well with Nvidia cards.

My advice is for you to try them all, and make your own choice....;)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Do you had a look at "decoder filter -> MPV" in MediaPortal Setup? (configuration.exe)

if you click the "TV-defaults" button you will get a very nice picture :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom