Tools and other software Best way to reinstall WHS (1 Viewer)

rolls1400

Portal Pro
August 26, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Well I have currently fillled up my hdd's for whs and want to replace with bigger drives and am not sure to go about.

I know I could just add to the pool but I also want to replace the system drive with a bigger one. The problem is when i reinstall whs onto a bigger drive then when I add drives to the pool they have to get formatted but thats where all my stuff will be on..Any ideas?

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
October 29, 2008
Calgary, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
Well I have currently fillled up my hdd's for whs and want to replace with bigger drives and am not sure to go about.

I know I could just add to the pool but I also want to replace the system drive with a bigger one. The problem is when i reinstall whs onto a bigger drive then when I add drives to the pool they have to get formatted but thats where all my stuff will be on..Any ideas?

IMO, don't bother putting in a bigger system drive. It will only get used when all other drives are full anyway. Spend the money on additional drives, controllers, drive enclosures etc.

rolls1400

Portal Pro
August 26, 2007
Home Country
Thanks, Well i already had 2 500 gb sata drives around and just ordered 2 1.5tb seagate drives so I think im gonna use one 500 for the system and the rest for the storage pool. Thanks for the response.

EViS

Portal Pro
September 30, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Why would you need 500Gb for the system? That sounds ridiculously high when the OS only requires a couple of GB? BTW, I don't use WHS (yet).

rolls1400

Portal Pro
August 26, 2007
Home Country
Why would you need 500Gb for the system? That sounds ridiculously high when the OS only requires a couple of GB? BTW, I don't use WHS (yet).

Actually you need at least 80 gb for the O.S.. It also has something to do with temporary storage and load balancing.

Anyways the reason for the 500 is the pool will have all mirrored folders on it but there are some things you dont want mirrored, like incomplete torrent files. Then when there finished just move them to the storage pool.

benogil

Portal Member
January 10, 2010
Home Country
Yes, you can move the system drive. Or, you can migrate- Manually migrating to a new Home Server ? MediaSmartServer.net .

For moving the drive- try this resource - Windows Home Server FAQ - Page 34 - [H]ard|Forum

As stated on the second link, sometimes moving works, sometimes not. The best way to do it is to do a complete backup of the server to an external disk. Also enable duplication on all the drives to ensure there is a copy of anything on your 80GB. Then simple switch the server off swap out the system drive and restore the server using the original disc. I recommend going all out for this disc so you don't have to change it for some time (1TB+).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom