Better forum and plugin organisation? (1 Viewer)

mrbert

Portal Pro
April 16, 2008
Rotterdam
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi
First of all I really want to say :D to all the people contributing to the success of MP.
As soon as I have it setup and working wit the desired WAF ( I am getting closer every day) I will sure do some donation to the project.:)

As a new MP user I have been searching a lot and reding a lot to solve the issues that I have getting MP running the way I want.

I think it would be a great advantage to know for which versions a plugin / skin is relevant and maybe the sections could be organized in such away that you can only search for plugins valid for a certain version?

example the keymapping plug in looked interesting to me but later after finding it did not work for me I found out it was already in my version of MP.

There are differer display driver plugins but which works for which version of MP?

In forums I see threats about display driver plugins that are from years ago but with the search function the off course appear. During reading the many pages of the threat I discover than at some stage most of all info is only for former versions.

maybe the forum could be organized in a way that everything related to a certain version of MP is grouped together? or an be recognized more easy?

Or just a list on each version of MP with a list of valid plugins?
Maybe a pre selection filter in the plugin's page?

Maybe there could be some list of suggested plugin combinations that are quite common for often used setups?
or maybe it would be a good suggestion of listing plugins that interfere when combined?

Just my two cent and I know it is easier say then done but maybe we can get some discussion going?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    WAF = Woman acceptance factor, if you can overcome this, problem solved.

Back on topic.

mrbert

We are in the process of cleaning up the repository and requesting authors of plugins\skins to make sure they put which version of MP is supported or not, that will hopefully make it clearer as to which plugins actually work.

Or just a list on each version of MP with a list of valid plugins?

That would be nice, now if only someone had time to do it for us, any volunteers.

Regards

mrbert

Portal Pro
    April 16, 2008
    Rotterdam
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Ray,

Nice to read people are already working on that:)

One solution might also be that whenever the team implements the features of a plugin, they put a note in the repository at the plugin page. Telling : starting at Version x Release Y this is implemented in the standard version of MP.
    The team knows best what they added:)

No Not trying to give them extra work :oops:
    I think it actually will save time and effort in responding to error ad questions

umlaut

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Kumla
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hope this is the right thread for this suggestion...

Something I too often find missing in the plugin description is a description that actually describes the plugin.
    Im sure for instance MyFilms is a wonderful pluging but the entire description for it is a changelog.
    There is nothing there, at the most obvious place, to tell a new user what the plugin do and base an opinion if it is something for them.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey Ray, I would be happy to help out organizing the repository or "creating just a list on each version of MP with a list of valid plugins?" as suggested above. I don't know what skills you need, my background is more in DB development and Documentation not programming, and I would love to help make it easier to get started using MP. Let me know if there is anything I can do, and how I get started. I'm happy to learn new skills if that's what is needed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom