Better mouse support (1 Viewer)

cheffe97

Portal Pro
August 10, 2004
Berlin, Germany
Hi,
I'm writing this because I hope that a developer will jump in and make MP even better than it is today.
In the todo list there is a point "Better mouse support".
This is essential for me since I want to control MP via touchscreen.
But so far it has low prio in dev.
So I'm calling all skilled programmers (not the left handed ones like me :) to help out in this section.
Please help making MP better! I would be more than happy to discuss ideas and help testing.
cheffe

jadz

Portal Pro
August 30, 2004
Canada
Expand on Mouse Support

A few things I would like to see.

MouseWheel support for scrolling through lists, perhaps middle mouse button click support for selecting items. This way you could scroll to the item you want, then click the scroll wheel and Bob's your ungle.

Controls for Video Playback without a keyboard your are stuck until the video ends if you start to playback a video. One option would be to have an optional menu that would slide up from the bottom of the screen when the video screen is left clicked. This would be like the annoying feature that WMP9 has when in full screen and you move your mouse the controls slide into view except not as annoying. IMO video should not be resized.

htpcman

Portal Member
September 12, 2004
Frankfurt, Germany
Support for Gyro Mouse

Hi y'all

I would also like to see better mouse support. In addition to the Keyboard and remote I use a Mouse from www.Gyration.com to control MP. This is very nice because it can be used "floating" in your hand. Like Jadz pointed out Wheel support and middle click of the wheel would be nice for scrolling through menus and selecting items.

since I have no programming skills I hope someone out there will step in and help.

cheers

htpcman

Cato72

Portal Member
October 20, 2004
Oslo
Home Country
Norway Norway
Playback of video

I must agree with above about lack of mouse control during video playback.

I guess it's like swearing in church, but I have to admit I use Total Commander for navigation and VLC as player. The MP video player is more or less useless for video playback.

IMHO the best way to navigate is using a slider representing a timeline. That way you can jump directly to anywhere in the movie. This timeline should off course be possible to control with left/right keys.

Additionally it should be possible to jump 1 minute (user configurable) forward with just one key. Important when jumping over comercials in TV recordings.

That said, MP has A LOT of potentiale and I'm looking forward when things gets settled down! :)

Sincerely,
Cato

jadz

Portal Pro
August 30, 2004
Canada
Re: Playback of video

Cato72 said:
Additionally it should be possible to jump 1 minute (user configurable) forward with just one key. Important when jumping over comercials in TV recordings.

Have you used the right and left arrows when watching video in MediaPortal? You can jump 1 minute.

Cato72

Portal Member
October 20, 2004
Oslo
Home Country
Norway Norway

jadz said:
Have you used the right and left arrows when watching video in MediaPortal? You can jump 1 minute.

Damn! This hasn't worked until now! Maybe because of the OSD bug with one of the skins...?

That was even better than I hoped for! Clever way of selecting how much time to jump! :)

Now, if I could get that timeline so I can get a visual clue of how far into the movie I am. When I turn on the OSD (Y key) I see something that looks like a timeline, but I can't see how far into the movie I am...

Cato72

Portal Member
October 20, 2004
Oslo
Home Country
Norway Norway

Cato72 said:
Damn! This hasn't worked until now! Maybe because of the OSD bug with one of the skins...?

That was even better than I hoped for! Clever way of selecting how much time to jump! :)

I might have been too quick.

Jumping in time works on some movies but progress is not visible in the OSD. In other movies I can jump AND the progress is visible in the OSD. And in some (at least one for now) I can't jump at all. When I press left or right, it jumps directly to start to end.

Do someone need any information from me to look into this matter?

jadz

Portal Pro
August 30, 2004
Canada
In the mean time. This should be a good workaround. I will test tonight.

Code:
========================================================================
Girder Mouse Plugin Notes (v2.0)                    (c)2003 - John Hind.
========================================================================
Support at http://www.girder.nl/phpBB2/index.php in the Developer Forum.
Thanks to Ron Bessems and Mark Fiechtner for technical assistance and to
Jan Savli for beta testing and design ideas.

PURPOSE
=======
Raises Girder events for mouse actions enabling the mouse to be used as
an additional controller.

- Recognises up to five mouse buttons and one scroll wheel.
- Can raise click events to Girder from any button and from wheel rotation.
- Can hide any button and the wheel from Windows applications.
- Can use any mouse button as a Function Shift for additional Girder events.
- Function Shift operations are automatically hidden from Windows
  Applications to avoid "side effects".
- "Dual use" of buttons as standard Windows buttons and Girder Function
  Shift buttons is possible.
- Every combination of a Function Shift button and another button raises
  a unique Girder event even when the other button is also a Function Shift.
- Function Shift in conjunction with wheel rotation generates events.
- Function Shift in conjunction with "compass gestures" generates events.
- Press and release of Function Shift buttons can be notified to Girder
  which is useful for OSD applications.
- "Intelligent" hiding of Function Shift button messages can be overridden
  trading better drag performance in Windows for potential "side effects".
- Multiple configurations can be defined and activated by Girder commands.

I was motivated to write this by a desire to be able to use the excellent
Gyration Ultra radio mouse ([url]www.gyration.com)[/url] as a remote control for a
PC-based home cinema setup.

LIMITATIONS
===========
This plugin works only in Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The API features
necessary to implement it are unfortunately not available in earlier
versions - sorry!

cheffe97

Portal Pro
August 10, 2004
Berlin, Germany
Hi jadz,
checke dthe plugin. Unforunately when I enable it mouse does not work anymore for me (maybe just a config thing).
Guess the only things that r essential is to have the osd coming up in fullscreen, get out of fullscreen and (when using mce) get to the parent menu. Forgot something?
Can u tell when u make progress?
cheffe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom