Ongoing Big Project-Custom build- Help!!! (1 Viewer)

fta123

December 29, 2007
Hello guys....I am in the process to custom build a HTPC and Media Server.....I do have some questions from the experts here and please share your experiences.

I will be building custom made cases for a (1)Media server and (3) media clients, I have looked for cases, some are very nice,(very expensive as well) but always lacking something, so I will building my own specifications for what I need, I know heat will be an issue so some trial an error would be envolved during this. For those of you interested, I would be taking pictures of the process and case building

Questions?
1. for those of you that have DVB-S working....does Media Portal able to look up EPG guides for both Cable/OTA HD and satellite channels?, what do you recommend? stand alone system for each?, My main interest is OTA HD channels and Free FTA HD channels. If any one here have a media portal set up that provides same or better quality from your local HD/Digital box, I would like to hear from you...Please:)

2. For those of you that are using the Server version of the Media Portal....is it stable enough? or if any of you are using any form of server OS either win2K3/Linux or others....what do you recommend and why?

3. The main goal of this project is to safe money while providing the same or better functionality that my cable provider have right now. I dont see the necessity to keep the cable box x 3 rooms if I can safe that money with a more functional system,not to count the satisfaction of building it myself:)

4. I am very interested in the client version of the media portal...sounds more like an extender for the current Microsoft Media Center, I would like to hear from current users that have clients versions running away from the server, preferly over 802.11G or 802.11N, my rooms are already wired, but would like to hear about your experiences using wifi......can you stream DVD quality or HD channels?

As you can see this will be a big project.....please share your experiences with me and I will do the same with my building process...thanks all

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom