BlackGold BGT3600 Picture & Audio breakup on Live TV in MediaPortal but NOT in 7WMC (1 Viewer)

EditBear

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2012
    Tunbridge Wells
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SOLVED!
    The cue came when I noticed that if I moved the MediaPortal Timeshift folder from my C: drive onto my D: Drive, then the video freezes and audio dropouts reduced substantially i.e. the red line still dipped and frames were still dropped - but this occurred only every few minutes instead of every few seconds!
    So I ordered a new SSD and now my lines are completely flat indefinitely!
    The problem was due to a faulty Kingston V Series 128Gb SSD.

The read/write strain induced by having the Timeshift folder on the same drive as Windows must have slowed down the tuner data flow from the PCie Blackgold card – causing the glitches.
    But even having moved the Timeshift folder off from the Kingston – windows must have not been able to run well enough to eliminate all glitches.
    With a replacement Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD the problem has completely gone away.
    With the Kingston SSD, I could not watch a blueray using TMT5 as the stuttering was aweful, now with a replacement Corsair SSD, the picture and sound are rock steady.
    One happy Bear!

EditBear

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2012
    Tunbridge Wells
    Home Country
    Finally, I just wanted to say a big thank you everyone on this forum, to the people who tried to help me over the past few months - it was very much appreciated.
    I'm sorry that I posted on a Medipoartal forum a problem that was not due to your excellent software.
    I have had problems with TMT5 as my last post says - which is why I thought it might be a motherboard problem, but Windows Media Centre more or less worked ok. It was only when I moved to MediaPortal that the off-air TV became unwatcheable.

I dont know why 7MC could cope better with a faulty SSD than MP, but that is why I came here to get help.
    I apologise for laying any blame at the wrong door - and if it helps - I have become a MP evangelist now!
    I have many different videos on my server with different codecs and frame rates.
    I really like that MP plays them all with seemless display refresh rate changes.

I hope now to sit back and just enjoy my movie collection after 2 years of watching & waiting for the next glitch.
    Thank you again.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi EditBear

Sadly these kind of issues haunt MP, it does use more resources than Windows Media Centre, so any bad driver\hardware may show up.
    Always great when someone actually posts what they have found to be the culprit, as it may give a clue to other users, these kind of things are impossible to easily diagnose over the internet, but I bet if you had run a latency check, the readings would have shot off the scale :D

Regards

EditBear

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2012
    Tunbridge Wells
    Home Country
    Thank you Ray,

I did indeed run the latency checker - and everything was green - so unfortunately it didnt point to the problem.
    But SSD it definitely is - as I have been using the Media Centre for a few days now - and everything is ok.

EditBear

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2012
    Tunbridge Wells
    Home Country
    Just an update - I was still getting a few dropped frames after the SSD changeover - but these were completely solved by an upgrade to MP 1.3 Final.
    Whoopee!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom