[solved] Blaster Setup Question (1 Viewer)

Goldfin

March 28, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
My Setup -

Media Portal 1 (1.13.0)

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250

HP OEM Windows Media Center HTPC MCE PC RC6 IR Remote Control & Infrared Receiver

I'm using only the digital portions of my Hauupauge WinTV-HVR-2250 connected to a roof top antenna. Using the Schedules Direct plugin I'm able to see my channels and programming data in the guide. Using the HP OEM remote control I'm able to successfully change channels, control the volume, and generally work as I hope it would.

I have only two minor issues with the digital setup.
1 - The remote isn't doing is skipping forwards or skipping backwards a set number of seconds (fast forwards and rewind do work, however).
2 - The guide doesn't seem to be respecting the channel order (order by name).

I consider this to be a successful migration from 7+ years using Microsoft Media Center which was becoming more and more sluggish and unresponsive.

Now, for the analog side...

I also have the Hauppauge HD PVR (49001) connected to my DishNetwork STB.

I've added the S-Video channel and can successfully preview satellite programming in the channel setup of the Media Portal configuration application.

I've used the Schedules Direct plugin to create / import the channel lineup, mapped the channels and I can see the satellite channels in my programming guide.

It is at this point that I am confused and a bit overwhelmed with what I should do next to get Media Portal control the DishNetwork STB.

Any assistance would be much appreciated in getting the blaster to work.

Thanks,

-Goldfin

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome to the forum :)

1 - The remote isn't doing is skipping forwards or skipping backwards a set number of seconds (fast forwards and rewind do work, however).
    MediaPortal's skipping behaviour is a bit different to WMC's. You can read a little about MediaPortal's behaviour here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...diaPortal_Configuration/13_GUI/7_Skip_Steps_*

In short: you should be able to use the up/down and/or left/right buttons for skipping. Up/down for skipping a set number of seconds immediately; left/right for a variable number of seconds.

2 - The guide doesn't seem to be respecting the channel order (order by name).
    A lot of people seem to struggle with this. Once again, our wiki (manual) can help to clarify. I highly recommend it. ;)

Channel order is set per channel group.

TV channel group configuration - including order - is found in TV Server Configuration in the "TV Channels" section.
    The first tab is only for channel maintenance (adding, editing, deleting, creating groups etc.); the order has no impact on the guide in MediaPortal:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...n/03_TV_Channels#First_group: "Channels(nnn)"

Each other tabs (eg. "all channels") represent TV channel groups:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ver_Configuration/03_TV_Channels#Other_groups

This is where you set the order for the guide, using drag/drop and/or the "order by name", "order by number", and arrow buttons.

All of the above applies equally for radio channels in the "Radio Channels" section of TV Server Configuration.

Any assistance would be much appreciated in getting the blaster to work.
    Right, so this part is going to be a little tougher.

I've used the Schedules Direct plugin to create / import the channel lineup, mapped the channels and I can see the satellite channels in my programming guide.
    Did you set the video and audio source settings within the SchedulesDirect plugin -> advanced options tab according to the inputs you're using and the mapping -->here<-- (first post, "Inputs:", "HD-PVR:")?
    If not, you should do that. It's important to have the SD plugin create channels with the correct settings.

To apply changes to those settings, the SD plugin needs to recreate all your channels. Unfortunately it doesn't do this automatically. So, you need to:
    1. Delete all your Dish (actually, analog) channels within the "TV Channels" and "Radio Channels" sections.
      1. Go to the TV Channels section of TV Server Configuration.
      2. Click on the "mapped cardtypes" column header (in the channel list on the first tab of the TV/Radio Channels section) to sort by channel type.
      3. Depending on how far you got, the Dish channels will be listed either as "analog" or "channel not mapped to a card".
      4. Highlight the first Dish channel by clicking on it.
      5. Hold down shift and use the down and/or page down keys to highlight all the other Dish channels.
      6. Click "delete".
      7. Repeat 2 to 6 for the Radio Channels section as well.
    2. Configure the SD plugin to recreate channels.
      1. Go to the SD plugin -> advanced options tab.
      2. Ensure "automatically add new digital cable/satellite channels" is ticked.
      3. Tick "force guide update on next TvService startup".
    3. Restart the TV service to actually recreate channels.
      1. Go to the "manual control" section.
      2. Click "stop service"... then "start service".
    Now you're going to need to wait up to 5 minutes to give the SD plugin a chance to download your lineup and guide data, and recreate the channels. Once the channels are back in the TV/radio channels sections, you need to map them to your HD-PVR (so that TV Server knows how to tune them). I don't know if you did this before, but either way you'll have to redo it now with the new channels:
    1. Click on the little + beside "TV Channels" in the left hand pane of TV Server Configuration to expand the tree and see the sub-sections.
    2. Go into the "TV Mapping" sub-section.
    3. Select your HD-PVR the top. Now the Dish channels should all be shown in the left hand "available channels" list.
    4. Select the first channel, hold down the shift key, then press the end key.
    5. Click the >> button to map/link the channels.
    6. Repeat for the Radio Channels section (if you have Dish radio channels).
    At this point you can (re)create any custom channel groups (eg. Dish, OTA/ATSC, favorites) within the TV and/or Radio Channels sections. This is optional. The wiki describes how to create channel groups in the links I gave for setting the guide channel order.

To confirm you've done everything correctly so far, you should now be able to...
    Open MediaPortal and go to the TV guide.
    All the TV channels you have access to including Dish and OTA/ATSC channels should be listed in the "All Channels" (and any custom channel groups you created should be available too).
    Most if not all channels should have guide data from SD listed against them.
    You should be able to view OTA/ATSC channels by selecting them.
    If you try to view a Dish channel, you should see the STB's current channel. That's because MP is receiving the video/audio from the STB but is not yet full controlling it.

So far so good? :)
    (If not, just ask - I'm happy to clarify/assist.)

Next step is to configure MP to control your STB. Before we can proceed, I need to know which blaster you're using to control the STB. I guess the answer will be one of the following options:
    • the blaster which is integrated with the HD-PVR
    • the blaster which is integrated with the MCE remote receiver (ie. the MCE receiver is actually a transceiver - receiver and transmitter combined)
    • another blaster (eg. USB-UIRT)
    Please confirm. If it's option 3, please describe the make and model.

Kind regards,
    mm

Goldfin

March 28, 2016
    Home Country
    Thank you for your detailed response.

Based on the information you provided I did figure out the issue with the channel ordering on my schedule. That issue has been resolved.

In addition, I went back and deleted and then re-added the analog (satellite) channels per your instructions. I will confirm that I see my analog (satellite) channels in the guide and when I chose one of those channels I do see my "current" satellite channel. Although, the channel does NOT look to be in HD, is not widescreen as it has letter box black bars on both sides, the top and bottom of the video. Not sure what the deal is with that.

To answer your questions, I hope to use the blaster which is integrated with the MCE remote receiver.

Many thanks!

-Goldfin

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

Thank you for your detailed response.
    You're very welcome. :)

Based on the information you provided I did figure out the issue with the channel ordering on my schedule. That issue has been resolved.
    Ace.

In addition, I went back and deleted and then re-added the analog (satellite) channels per your instructions. I will confirm that I see my analog (satellite) channels in the guide and when I chose one of those channels I do see my "current" satellite channel.
    Good.

Although, the channel does NOT look to be in HD, is not widescreen as it has letter box black bars on both sides, the top and bottom of the video. Not sure what the deal is with that.
    Okay. There are several possible reasons for what you're seeing. I think the easiest way to trouble-shoot is to go through the chain from source to screen to confirm everything is good.

First: the only way you're going to get true HD is if the channel is an HD channel broadcasting a program that was filmed/produced in/with HD. This is common sense which I'm sure you're aware of. So, I assume that's what you were testing.

Second: in order to get HD out of the STB you need to have connected an HD output on your STB to the component video input on your HD-PVR. Again, you're probably aware of this but I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Third: your TV Server SD plugin configuration and channels should be configured for the YRYBYInput1 (AKA YRYBY #1). That's the component video input on the HD-PVR. Considering that you followed the instructions in my previous reply, this should also be fine.

Fourth: your MediaPortal codec (decoder) configuration needs to be sensible. If you haven't configured your codecs, now would be the time to do it. I'm talking about these settings (MediaPortal Configuration -> codecs & renderer section -> TV codecs tab):
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/9_Codecs_and_Renderer/1_TV_Codecs

The screenshot in the wiki page linked above shows a good basic/quick setup (ie. LAV for all). For audio renderer select the DirectSound option corresponding to the audio output you would like MediaPortal to use. If in doubt, select the "default DirectSound" option.

Note 1: if you haven't previously installed the LAV codecs (either independently, or via the MediaPortal installer option), they won't be available to select in MediaPortal Configuration. In that case, I'd strongly recommend you install them now. You can do that via the MediaPortal Extension Installer (link on your desktop and/or in your Windows start menu). Enter "LAV" into the filter box on the known extensions tab. You should find the "LAVFilters" extension. Select it and click install.

Note 2: now would be a good time to configure the codec settings on all the tabs under "codecs & renderer" (videos, TV, DVD etc.). Again, just select the LAV option where possible.

Hopefully correcting the above 4 factors - source, connection, configuration, codecs - should give you HD video with the right aspect ratio (wide screen etc.).

If you're interested, there are more factors which can be checked and tweaked to get better picture quality. For example, if you're a bit of a videophile, you may want to check out a more involved codec setup guide like this one.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/guide-perfect-playback-display-calibration.119610/

You may also want to tweak the HD-PVR encoder configuration. That can be done in TV Server Configuration under TV Servers -> {your server name} -> Hauppauge HD PVR Crossbar tuner -> quality control tab.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...n/02_TV_Servers/7_Scan_Analog#Quality_Control

To answer your questions, I hope to use the blaster which is integrated with the MCE remote receiver.
    Right, okay.

In order to use that, you're going to need to install and configure IR Server Suite (IRSS).
    Get the latest version from here (currently "IR Server Suite - Test Build 1.5.0.113.zip"):
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-unoficial-testing-version-no-support.119847/

During installation, make sure you enable the options to install the MP Control plugin for MediaPortal and TV3 Blaster plugin for TV Server. This is very important. Without those plugins you won't be able to get anything working.

Once installed, please follow the instructions below...
    1. Open MediaPortal Configuration.
    2. Go to the "remotes & input devices" section.
    3. On the HID tab, untick "use generic HID device". Normally people would tick that option if using a MCE remote. You have to do things a bit differently because you're using both the remote and blaster.
    4. Go to the "plugins" section.
    5. Under process plugins you should find the MP Control plugin installed by IRSS. Select it and click "enable". I think default configuration should be okay for a standard WMC-compatible remote.
    6. Optional step: in order to use the remote to select channels by keying in their number:
      1. Go to the "TV/Radio" section -> "TV" sub-section -> "general settings" tab.
      2. Untick "select channels by index".
      3. Increase "channel number max. length" to 4 if you need to select channels with 4 digit numbers.
      4. Optional: tick show channel numbers.
    7. Close MediaPortal Configuration and open IRSS Input Service Configuration.
    8. Scroll down the "device plugins" list until you find the "Microsoft MCE" entry.
    9. Tick "receive" and "transmit" for "Microsoft MCE".
    10. Close IRSS Input Service Configuration and open TV Server Configuration.
    11. Go to the plugins section.
    12. IRSS should have installed its TV3 Blaster plugin (not ServerBlaster). Tick it to enable it.
    13. Restart the TV service to activate the plugin properly:
      1. Go to the "manual control" section.
      2. Click "stop service"... then click "start service".
    14. Go to the plugins section -> TV3 Blaster plugin sub-section -> IR Commands tab.
    15. Learn the STB remote control buttons. You'll need at least the numeric buttons (0, 1, 2... 9), and possibly also OK/select/enter. If you know other button(s) are needed (for example, a button to bring up a channel number entry dialog) then learn them too.
      1. Select the command/button and click edit. Alternatively click new to learn commands/buttons which are not listed.
      2. For new commands/buttons: enter a name.
      3. Hold the STB remote approximately 5 cm away from the MCE receiver.
      4. Click learn.
      5. Press the target button once. If learning does not succeed, try again with the remote slightly closer or slightly further from the receiver.
      6. Use the test button to confirm that the command/button has been learned correctly. This is also a good opportunity to figure out which port - 1 or 2 - the blaster/emitter cable is connected to.
      7. Repeat 1 to 6 for all buttons that you need.
    16. Go to the "Plugin Setup" tab and click "STB Setup".
    17. In the new window, select the tab corresponding with your HD-PVR. This is important.
    18. For each of the listed commands:
      1. Select the command.
      2. In the drop down box below the command list, select the corresponding command/button which you learned at step 15.
      3. Click set.
      4. In the dialog that pops up, select the appropriate port which you determined at step 15. If you're not sure select "both", though this may be slightly slower.
      5. Click OK.
    19. Configure the options on the right as appropriate for your STB. They're usually not too critical, however you probably want to set the wait between digits as low as possible (~150 ms???).
    20. Use the test function to test that blasting of complete channel numbers is working.
    Once you have the test function in TV Server Configuration working, blasting setup is complete. You should be able to go back to MediaPortal, select any Dish channel from the guide, and MP should now show the corresponding channel.

Goldfin

March 28, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks again for you response.

I have not yet configured the codecs and I will go through your instructions as soon as I return home from work. I misspoke earlier. It appears that the image I'm receiving in Media Portal on the satellite channels is in HD, the problem looks to be with the aspect ratio.

On a side note, I did confirm that that satellite signal was HD by unplugging the component cables from the Hauppauge HD PVR and plugging them directly into the TV (from the satellite STB). The video on my television was HD and wide screen. So, again it looks to be an aspect ratio issue.

Once that issue has been resolved I'll go through your steps for setting up IRSS.

Many thanks!

-goldfin

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It appears that the image I'm receiving in Media Portal on the satellite channels is in HD, the problem looks to be with the aspect ratio.
    Okay. This makes it more likely to be a simple codec issue, so I'm even more hopeful that following my previously given instructions will provide a resolution. :)

There's no rush; take your time. I'll be here and ready to provide further assistance if/when necessary. All you have to do is ask... :)

Goldfin

March 28, 2016
    Home Country
    My current update -

The issue with the aspect ratio has been resolved. There was a specific setting on the Dish Network Box to determine the resolution. I increased that and Media Portal now works great. The only remaining issue is the remote blaster.

I followed your instructions and got to step 15. The TV3 Blaster plugin successfully learned commands 0, and 1. It failed several times on learning channel 2 (time out message). I figured I was making progress and shut down the computer to go eat dinner.

After dinner turned the computer back on and picked up from where I left off. However, now the Learn IR Command window no longer shows a Port. It shows the value "None" for the port field drop down. The field is read only and I can't change it. Also, whenever I attempt to learn a new command, the process fails immediately with a "Failed to learn IR" message.

Thanks again for your help.

-Goldfin

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    However, now the Learn IR Command window no longer shows a Port. It shows the value "None" for the port field drop down. The field is read only and I can't change it. Also, whenever I attempt to learn a new command, the process fails immediately with a "Failed to learn IR" message.
    Right, okay. These are all signs that IRSS has lost contact/access with/to your transceiver.

To resolve, try restarting IRSS (this can be done from within Input Service Configuration), then subsequently restarting the TV Server (via TV Server Configuration -> manual control etc.). That should give you the ability to carry on learning.

Goldfin

March 28, 2016
    Home Country
    I got the IRSS service to restart and was back to a point where the service could learn the remote control channels. However, Media Portal is not learning the channels. I continue to get a Time Out message. Even after I changed the "learn" time to 30 seconds, I'm still not getting Media Portal to learn the channel.

After changing the time out of 30 seconds (30,000 ms) I restarted both services and confirm that the it took 30 second before the time out occurred.

I spend around an hour trying different numbers 0 - 9, trying different tap speeds (fast - slow), trying different distances from the receiver (1" - 36") and I cannot get the channel to "learn".

When I make my attempts, the light on the receiver does indicate that the device is receiving a signal. Also, the remote control does work directly against the Dish Network STB. I even replaced the batteries and cleaned the remote controls emitter with alcohol and a q-tip, but have had no luck.

I'm using Windows 10 (64bit) if that means anything.

As a test, I used the values from a pre-configured STB for Dish Network to see if that would work. When I change channels on my guide, the IR Blaster does pulse with light indicating that it is sending a signal to the STB. So, in theory that works. I'm just unable to teach Media Portal my channels.

Thanks,

-Goldfin

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    However, Media Portal is not learning the channels. I continue to get a Time Out message.
    Okay, I understand. In that context a "time out" generally means that IRSS is receiving zero or invalid input from the receiver.

Even after I changed the "learn" time to 30 seconds...
    I spend around an hour trying different numbers 0 - 9, trying different tap speeds (fast - slow), trying different distances from the receiver (1" - 36") and I cannot get the channel to "learn".

When I make my attempts, the light on the receiver does indicate that the device is receiving a signal. Also, the remote control does work directly against the Dish Network STB. I even replaced the batteries and cleaned the remote controls emitter with alcohol and a q-tip, but have had no luck.
    These are all sensible things to try/check. (y)

For learning, my understanding is that you should only have to press the remote button once. There should be no need to hold it down longer than you normally would, and no need to repeatedly tap/press it. Also, the remote needs to be quite close to the receiver. Between 2 (0.75") and 5 cm (2") is the guideline from Microsoft, though this may vary a little (maybe up to 10cm/4"???) depending on the actual receiver vendor/design. 1" may not be close enough; 36" is certainly much too far away.

I'm using Windows 10 (64bit) if that means anything.
    It means nothing. Windows 10 should work as well as any other version.

I have to admit that I've personally never used IRSS or a blaster, so it's a little tricky when things go wrong like this. However I do have some recommendations.

1. Attempt to use the process/config that was successful in the past.
    In your previous reply you said you were successful in learning 0 and 1 before deciding to have dinner. From this we can deduce that the process/config you were using at that time - 10 second time-out, receiver distance, button press pattern etc. - must have been okay, and IRSS can learn. I'd recommend you stick to that without too much variation.

2. Ensure that only IRSS is using the transceiver.
    Only one application can use/control the transceiver at any given time. You want that application to be IRSS. Any other process that attempts to use the transceiver for either blasting or receiving remote control input may mess up IRSS and the learning process.

3. Reboot.
    It's clichéd I know, but it can be effective. When all else fails, try rebooting the PC.

4. Provide log files.
    Log files will give me the detail I need to understand exactly what's going on.
    First we need to make sure the IRSS and TV Server log levels are set to debug so that I get the required level of detail:
    • Open IRSS Input Service Configuration.
    • Click "advanced" (top left).
    • Set log level to debug.
    • Click OK.
    • Restart the IRSS service.
    • Close IRSS Input Service Configuration and open TV Server Configuration.
    • Go to the "general" section.
    • Set log level to debug.
    • Go to the "manual control" section.
    • Click "stop service"... then "start service".
    Now try learning buttons again at least 5 times so I can clearly see the situation/problem.

Finally, collect the log files:
    • Open Windows Explorer.
    • Copy and paste c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\log into the address bar/field (up the top).
    • Compress/zip all the files in that folder.
    • Copy and paste c:\ProgramData\IR Server Suite\Logs into the address bar/field.
    • Compress/zip all the files in that folder.
    You can attach the two zip files to a forum post using the "upload a file" button/function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom