Blu ray player plugin (1 Viewer)

vcrapps

Portal Pro
March 11, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello, I'm reatively new to MediaPortal, but after some configuration, I have got it up and working successfully. After some reading, however, I found that there is no current blu ray player software to play blu ray discs natively within mediaportal. I also did some more google searches on the web, and found a free blu ray player called freesmith blu ray player, and it does indeed play blu ray disc. I trying to begin writing a new plugin that will integrate this player into Mediaportal hopefully if I'm now breaking any copyright restrictions, because it is a freeware program, but I new to software coding, and I thought that this might be a good project to start on.

vcrapps

Portal Pro
March 11, 2012
Home Country
I'm wondering though why no one else hasn't already started something like this, or maybe they have, but what type of problems am I likely to encounter?

vcrapps

Portal Pro
March 11, 2012
Home Country
Thanks for the information, I have already installed and downloaded the bluray plugin, but it only supports non-protected disc. I was more interested in being able to play Bluray discs that are protected natively within mediaportal without the need for any additional software. Tourettes last response shows that they are working on this which is excellent.

Last edited:

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The native Blu-ray support will not play encrypted discs:

Unsupported features
    • BD-J is not supported - all BD-J based blu-ray disks need to be played without menus.
    • Text based subtitles aren't supported - only a small minority of blu-ray disks seems to use text based subtitles.
    • Encrypted blu-ray disks aren't supported - tools like AnyDVD HD need to be used for majority of the commercial disks
    I use DVD Fab Blu Ray Passkey and it works great.

meshy

May 11, 2012
    Home Country
    Bulgaria Bulgaria
    vcrapps, does this freesmith player really plays commercial Blu-rays? I've read here that there are not free players bacause of some licensing fees. On the other hand I read on other forums that there are free players but they are not capable to play everything. Well, I am still not giving up and that's why I am asking you about your discovery but my hopes for finding a free solution seems to decrease fast. Of course, any other suggestion for a free Blu-ray player will be very welcome.

vcrapps

Portal Pro
    March 11, 2012
    Home Country
    When I put a commecial Blu Ray DVD in, it took about a couple mins, almost like it was querying a server for something, but then it played just fine. www.freesmith.com

meshy

May 11, 2012
    Home Country
    Bulgaria Bulgaria
    Thanks vcrapps. I will check it. It would be really great if this is finally a free Blu-ray player with the capabilities of the paid ones.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    When I put a commecial Blu Ray DVD in, it took about a couple mins, almost like it was querying a server for something, but then it played just fine.

Tested quickly with few BDs. What a horrible piece of software that is:

• No BD menu support
    • Starting up a BD takes ages
    • Seeking takes 15 seconds to complete
    • Video judders on GT430 + quad core AMD
    • Video randomly changes to slideshow (1 frame in 5 seconds)
    • Subtitle languages aren't available (also subtitles failed to be renderred on few BDs I tested)
    • Audio streams have no language info
    After that I decided that it is not worth testing any longer :) Better to wait few days for a real BD support in MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom