Blu-Ray support in future (1 Viewer)

noncom

Portal Member
August 23, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm considering MediaPortal as a possible next step to replace our existing PVR/Network Media Player/DVD system.

However, if I'm going to all the effort and expense of building a HTPC for this purpose, I really want it to be a "one-stop solution", and therefore it must be able to play Blu-Rays in future.

I understand MP can't currently do so without using external codecs (such as PowerDVD 10, but not currently v11).

What is the likelihood of this situation changing so that Blu-Ray support would be more "native" to MediaPortal rather than relying on 3rd party commercial software, which would incur purchase/upgrade costs and presumably be more fiddly to maintain reliable operation?

If the Blu-Ray situation is unlikely to change, then I'd probably end up with an external Blu-Ray player also, which would lean me more towards an "off-the-shelf" Networked PVR/Media Player device instead of HTPC.

Any advice welcome....

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The Blu-ray situation is likely to change. I'm not going to say anything more than that... ;)

noncom

Portal Member
    August 23, 2011
    Home Country
    Errrrrr, OK..... :confused:

Not sure if that helps then....... :)

I appreciate if you can't say much more than that, but would you be able to give a vague timescale in which the situation is likely to change, even if you can't give detail of how? 6 months, a year, two years?

Building a HTPC would be a big investment of time and cash for me, so if I'm going to do it, I have to be confident it will deliver everything I expect.

Thanks again

noncom

Portal Member
    August 23, 2011
    Home Country
    OK, thanks, that's interesting. I'd missed that one. What do you mean by "without menu support"? How do you select what to play from the disc if it doesn't display the BD menu?

Thanks
    noncom

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

When starting the load the BD, a selection menu (feature list of title) appear and you have to select the right one.
    It's often the first in the list but not 100% always the case because on BD the longest title is not always the right title to play.

"without menu support" mean that you don't have the menu like the one we have on BD/DVD (play/setup etc.) we only have the list of possible title to play sort by time and with extra info like chapters.

Seb :)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all

I understand MP can't currently do so without using external codecs (such as PowerDVD 10, but not currently v11).

well u cant get a simple xvid to play without external codecs

get into SAF 6.0..... seriously

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs-331/saf-v6-00-based-lavf-95635/

then get the bd handler plugin

MEDIAPORTAL - Bluray Handler 0.9.7

keep in mind you need an on the fly decryptor like AnyDvD HD, since MP is not an offical blu ray player program like PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc

noncom

Portal Member
    August 23, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for all this info.

It certainly helps push me towards MP as a possibility.

One question: on the screenshots of the new Native BD handling linked to a couple of posts above, is it possible to hide all that ugly text information displayed over the Menus?

Thanks
    noncom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom