Blue Screen Flashes When Changing Channels using Hauppaugge 2250 w/ integrated HD 4290 (1 Viewer)

Rlewton85

Portal Member
February 1, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.2
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP 1.7.6.3093
Windows Version: Windows 7 - 64 bit
CPU Type: AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3Ghz Socket AM3

HDD: Seagate 2.0 TB 5900RPM
Memory: 8Gb G.Skill RipJaws (1333)
Motherboard: MSI 890gxm-g65
Video Card: Radeon HD 4290
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: Realtek onboard
Sound Card AC3: None
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppague HVR-2250
1. TV Card Type: Dual Analog ATSC/QAM
1. TV Card Driver:
HTPC Case: nMEDIAPC 5000B
Cooling: Cooler Master RR-VTPS-28PK-R1 Vortex
Power Supply: CoolerMax 600W
Remote: MCE Remote

Hi,

I have been having an issue for awhile now with my analog cable signals and was hoping someone can help me finish off this last leg of my Media Center project

What happens is when I change a channel the screen blanks like it is going to change channels, then the original channel comes in for a split second, then the screen flashes blue, and then the desired channel finally tunes in and is fine (minus some fuzziness but that is just my cable signal, maybe try post processing one I get rid of the blue screen).

I am not sure what is going on so any help would be greatly appriciated. I have tried multiple video codecs for TV including Mainconcept(HCW), PDVD12, and Microsoft but nothing seems to help. I am wondering if this is a hardware issue, as it does the same thing in WMC7. (Note: does not do it in Hauppauges software WinTV7)

The Hauppaugge card is installed in the only PCIe x 1.0 slot on my motherboard.

Is this software related? Should I get a discrete videocard? Move the TV card to a different PCie slot? Has anyone seen and fixed this in the past? Please help!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

Rlewton85

Portal Member
February 1, 2012
Home Country
So even with your discrete card it still happens? Well there goes that theory.

I am currently talking with Hauppaugge support to see if I can determine a fix for this.

I did a fresh install of their PVR software WinTV v7 at their request, I found that the screen never flashed blue, however the channel changing is extremely slow and if you change the channel three successive times it takes about 5 seconds for it to respond which feels like a lifetime.

I also experimented with WMC7, and found it only blued when changing the channel rapidly. Basically it only blued if I changed channels and before the requested channel tuned in completely changed the channel again.

I am wondering if this is a codec thing were I can ad WinTV v7 codecs and use them in MP. Thoughts?

I will keep posting on progress with Hauppaugge.

Rlewton85

Portal Member
February 1, 2012
Home Country
First keep in mind I am very new at this so if this doesn't make sense I apologize, but I think I may have made head way on this for any others with this issue, but I will need to test my theory and could really use an administrators help to verify.

What I believe is happening, at least for North American analog channels, is the native resolution Mediaportal Assigned for the Hauppaugge Card is wrong and the blue screen flash is the native resolution being resolved. This is based on the theory of a Hauppaugge Tech that thought it had something to do with the computers interface to the television through the HDMI input. However as mentioned before I do not experience this blue screen flash issue in WinTV or WMC7 with the same hardware config so I believe it has to be software related.

So I did some testing and digging and found the below:.

As I combed through the attached logs I found this in the:
tvserver_AnalogCard_Configuration-4-Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog TV Tuner.xml file

These lines appear:
<imageResolution>720x576</imageResolution>
<frameRate>25</frameRate>
<teletextPin>2</teletextPin>

I believe for North America these should read:
<imageResolution>720x480</imageResolution>
<frameRate>30</frameRate>
<teletextPin>2</teletextPin>

I believe the fact that this is set this way maybe causing the issue, but I do not know all the inner workings of the software and how communication to hardware works. I plan on editting the XML and experimenting tonight. In the mean time I have attached the logs where i ran the TV application changed the channel 5 to 6 times and then closed the debug mode. Hopefully an admin can take the time to review and let me know if this makes sense,

Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom