Ongoing Broken Dell D610 Laptop (1 Viewer)

Mooga

December 17, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So I got my hands on an old Dell D610 Laptop with a broken screen and damaged case.
Originally I just had it sitting around as a Kubuntu playground, but that got old.

So I'm in the process of turning it into a media center.
Since the laptop has svideo out and a DVD drive is seemed like a logical option.
My main worry is that it has an INTEL graphic card which are generally crappy as all hell.
It does, however, have 1gb of ram and a 1.86GHz Pentium Mobile which should be able to handle the basics. I want to mainly use it for music, movies, online video, and possibly some emulation. I would love to use it for hulu if possible.

For control, I bought a wireless mouse to use.

Any recommendations would be great. :D
The box is running Windows XP SP3.

asd7000

Portal Pro
May 17, 2008
I don´t know whats your problem with Intel cards. I used MP with several Intel cards and it always run fine. Ok they are nothing for gaming, except the new ones i played some games on them wasn´t that bad. With a Celeron M @ 1,73 Ghz and the Intel Onboard GMA 3100 i can watch HD Videos without any problems. But short googling says you should have the Intel GMA900 is the same card that runs in many mediacenter pcs like scaleo e, medion epc, elonex artisan, fic spectra.... That card has no DXVA for HD Material but with that processor you could be fine. I have the Intel GMA900 on my Scaleo E and was quite happy with it. But for the future and blu-ray i bought and ati hd3450, if could turn back time i would leave a message for my self: don´t buy ATI cards, just wait :D
I would say just install MP and have fun!

Mooga

December 17, 2008
Home Country
I've got MP installed and I've been messing with configurations on and off for a few days.
I installed klite for video codecs and it's working nicely for now.
I also configured the wireless mouse and it's working great! I would recommend the Logitech V220 for anyone looking for a cheap wireless mouse. I picked this one up on sale for about $15 (USD).

Mooga

December 17, 2008
Home Country
I'm having issues with the GUI.
Pausing and tracking in a video is annoying and nearly impossible without exiting to the main menu. Any recommendations? Should I use an external player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom