Browsing Pictures over network is very slow (1 Viewer)

ericgeil

Portal Member
October 27, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
FIrst of all, let me thank everyone who has contributed to this amzing tool! I hope to contribute some code to the project at some point, but for now I'm just getting to know it. Everything is working great so far except for browsing pitures.

I have all of my pictures (maybe a thousand or so) on a separate computer. I set up MP to view the appropriate folder using unc path. However, it is extremely slow (3-4 minutes every time I change folder or open a picture)! I have a 300Mbps connection, and both machines are quite fast, so I can't see why it should take so long to populate. My pics are broken in subfolders of \year\month\ so there aren't many pictures in a given folder (10-20 maybe).

For comparison, I have a separate laptop where I have experimented with Windows Media Center. Its set up to pull from the same file location, and I can browse through directories in about 1 second each.

On a side note, I notice on the music portion of MP, there is a database. I don't see a database for the pictures. It seems like this would help to speed up browsing pictures, having a local DB that points to remote files.

Any idea what might cause it to be so slow? Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any assistance. :D

Sadlo

Portal Member
February 26, 2008
I have the same problem, everything what I know about that is, that it depends on number (size) of pictures. I was looking for solution, but I did not find it. Pleas help ...

Kasselhöfer

Portal Pro
February 20, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Browsing Pictures over network is very slow

I have this problem, too. At The MP config I update the database of the Picture Database and so on, but withoute profit. Any idea?

Thanks

MP 1.1.2

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007

If you want to profit of the DB, you have to select the "view by date" - the "view by share" bypasses (as in videos and music too) db and directly shows (configured) shares.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007

You'd have to scan your pictures in the configuration and in the MePo GUI you can select "show by date" (or similar wording).

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007

If you have NOT scanned your pictures in the setup, Mediaportal will start doing that when you enter your directories in the GUI.
    It then creates thumbs for the previews of each picture, which takes time and adds quite some load on the pc.
    If you made a full scan in the configuration/setup, so thumbs are already created, when entering the mypictures GUI.
    Also I was not talking ybout "sortby" - but do a "switch view" - there you can choose to either filesystem or db-based view by date.

Sadlo

Portal Member
    February 26, 2008
    Yes, you are right. I have already created thumbs in setup, and it is faster to view pictures in folders. But problem is still in browsing. Every time, when I return to root folder (I have more than 150 folders there) I have to wait more than 40 seconds. When I want to see folder with 3000 pictures (files) I need to wait next 40s, then it is fast.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007

I think there should be some improvement in 1.2 beta coming as there is some caching functions added.
    If you still have those problems when 1.2 is released, please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom